Feeding my Blue Hippo?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Pjredd, Feb 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

So, I rescued a Blue Hippo with HLLE a few weeks ago from a guy who knew she was too big for his tank. She has eaten well since I brought her home. Ive been feeding her Omega one veggie flakes, frozen brine shrimp, and some occasional seaweed. She went through a bought of Ich and I honestly didn't think she would make it, she looked horrible, lost her color and her eyes clouded over. I got a couple cleaner shrimp and they went to work on her and now a week later she looks better than when I brought her home. Even the grey patches from the HLLE are completely gone.
    My question is, the guy I got her from said she loved Bok Choy, that it was her favorite food. Has anyone ever fed this to their fish before?
    I'm really leary of feeding her this now that she is completely healthy again. I'm just unsure about feeding fish something that doesn't occur naturally in the ocean. If anyone has tried this, could you please share your experience with it, and also how you prepared it.
    Thanks,
    P

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli

If she doesn't eat it right away thats fine. Leave it in the tank for a couple days (it will be fine) and she will eventually start to pick at it. It's very good for them too!

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I think it's ok just rinse it so there's no pesticides.. lots of people feed broccoli including myself. I feed them meaty food, flakes sometimes, seaweed, and Hikari sinkable wafers.

5. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

Broccoli? Really? Do you just put it in raw, in a veggie clip?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have had tangs given to me over the yrs with holes so large you could read a paper through their heads , Lack or proper diet and voltage are the problems I find to cause this most often I myself have never had a fish to suffer from the lateral problems I do use a ground probe and always have and I feed 99% vegetable matter and flakes seldom do my tangs or any fish get frozen . Now all this being said I have found broccoli to be the most effective in reversering the damage caused by the disease . I simple clip it Raw in to the tank may take them a few days to figure out its food but once they do it will be their favorite food .

The best part is it will set in the tank for days and cause not water issues stays fresh and together for over a week.. But like I said once they figure out what it is then it won't last that long.. give tem all they want like a 24/7 feeding station. I'd cut the meats out myself ..But thats me

7. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

Thanks for the advice guys! Guess maybe I'll give the Broccoli a try tonight. Still not sure about the Bok Choy though.

8. Click Here!

9. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

I also changed from lett to broccoli and my fish also love it