feeding my anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by evojoe67, Mar 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jas3600

jas3600 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Feeding Anemone

First off in 2000 I began my first reef aquarium. I bought several items, but to stay on topic I am going to only discuss the clown anemone relationship experiences.

First reef set up:
    Maroon Yellow Stripe Clown and Brown Bubble tip anemone.
    Paired within minutes of release and excelled wonderfully. Clown would take freeze dried krill that had soaked in tank water for several minutes to soften right to the anemone and if the anemone spit it out the clown would swim back to the top of the tank and retrieve the krill and return to the anemone forcing it to eat!!!

I lost everything in this tank due to an ice storm that caused a five day power outage. Terrible loss!
    [​IMG]

Second Reef attempt

Bought a pair of Pink Skunk Clowns and a Sebea anemone.
    Not so fortunate. The pair of Clowns went to the anemone, but never fed it they would take the food out of the anemone that I would hand feed it. Did research after buying and discovered that the sebea is for more advanced reef keepers. It died and the Pink Skunks lived for four years. eventually died because I let the water evaporate too low and the sensor for my heater read the room temp telling the heater to heat the water. Water was 95 degrees. I was bored of these fish, but It still made me cry to lose them.
    [​IMG]

Most recent experience
    JUST INTRODUCED THIS WEEK another YELLOW STRIPE MAROON and a GREEN BUBBLE ANEMONE.

PAIRED UP WITHIN TWO HOURS AND THE CLOWN HAS NOT LEFT THE ANEMONE.

The Clown has not taken food to the anemone yet, but it's only been a couple days. I will right more once they become symbiotic.

Picture with actinic light on.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

Don't hold your breath on hosting. I have 2 perc's and instead of even 1 of them hosting my WBT, 1 host's my zoa's and the other is trying to host my clam. There are no guarntee's that they will ever host it, good luck though.

4. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

yea, as the previous post said, they may never host. Some are just picky, my false percs could care less about the LTA i've had in my tank for about three weeks now. In any case, if they don't bond, I know that feeding them once a week is definitely sufficient.

5. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i feed mine a live baby fancy guppy(i breed em anyways) once every other week or so,its not necessary to feed them in the right conditions but i like to just to assure myself that the anemones needs are being met and that he's interested in eating,wich i interpret to be a sign he's healthy,i've read that its important not to put the food item in his mouth but in the tentacles and let them do the work, and as another poster mentioned they grow quite fast when fed so be sure thats what you want as most of these animals have the potential to get HUGE.

6. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

my tomatoes host a bubble tip (only the large tom, he keeps the small one away)
    they also both have hosted my tube worms, my leather toadstool and other corals. lol
    I havent seen my tom bring the BTA food yet though.

7. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Very nice last pic, their beauty's...
    Fancy trying to host a clam .....lmao

8. Click Here!

9. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I have a purple tip sebae, GBM clown won't host but 2 dominoes do. i feed mine 1/2" piece if silverside about every 2-3 days. been going strong about a yr. now, 6 months in my tank 6 months in another.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep, clowns will take care of anemone just fine.

I did not specifically feed mine for years...then I made mistake of starting to. It turned quickly into a real monster...

[​IMG]

:eek:

11. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

any specific reason why dominoes don't feed the anemone? or is it just my dominoes? any food they get they eat they don't worry about anemone at all. maybe it's cause i got so much fish and they frenzy during feeding time?

12. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

[​IMG]
    Here's pic (old) dominoes hosting. anemone much bigger now.

Oops, next post

Last edited: May 18, 2008