Feeding live food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ts383, May 31, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

I've got a scooter blenny living in my 55gal now, and he's doing quite well. Since shrimp constitutes such a large part of his diet, I was wondering what thoughts you all have about obtaining a hatchery and producing my own brine shrimp, in terms of cost-effectiveness and such.

TIA,
    --Tom

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My scooter blenny never touched my mysid shrimp, only copepods. If yours will eat shrimp, by all means buy a breeder. They are very cheap at Marine Depot, Aquatic Ecosystems, etc.

4. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

I just got a Manderin Dragonet earlier today, he wouldnt touch live brine, I gotta find somethng that he will eat :(.

5. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

copepod are the only thing they seem to eat for me atleast

6. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

Looks like it might be beneficial to setup some pod breeding now to make sure I always have a ready supply...the LFS around here aren't much on stocking live food, so where is a good place to get a seeder population of pods to place in the breeding tank?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

Good links, thanks. Set up a 10gallon tank to harvest pods from, which leads me to my next question...I haven't noticed anything on just how much I should introduce to a tank. Now, since these are living organisms they probably won't do too much harm to a tank, but I don't exactly want to flood my setup with them either.

Also, can you get by with just dropping some crushed up flake food / maybe some crushed up seaweed into the breeding tank? Or does it require something more along the lines of the liquid foods that some places sell?

As always, thanks for all the input!

10. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

You need liquid foods and you can add as much as you want. Your making me jelous, I want a 10 gallon for pod harvesting! What did you use as a filter?