Feeding Fish Cooked Shrimp

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Hackem688, Sep 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I have been putting cooked store shrimp you know the frozen ones in my tank 2 times a week usually using a feeding tube to my anemones. I have seen the corals eat them even the fire shrimps and my angel try to take the food from them. My question is is this ok to feed them? The dude at the store says use raw shrimp only but I trust you all more then my local store please answer soon.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I myself do not use cooked shrimp only fresh.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Opinion Noted but that don't tell me if what i have been doing is bad for my tank

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The cooked shrimp will probably lack nutrients that are cooked out. Do I think it's bad no. Unless it's deep fried:eek:;D. Would I recommend using fresh, yes. I would also cut back on feeding. I sent you another PM 688. I've got to take off here pretty soon to go salmon fishing;D. You should be able to get a pic posted. I went through it step by step.

2 people like this.
  6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

In my opinion, the worst thing about using cooked shrimp is that the butter, garlic and salt and pepper will make your skimmer work extra hard! :)

Seriously though, the question is why are you using cooked shrimp? if it's not cooked in nature, why cook it for your tank inhabitants? If it's a matter of convenience, and the shrimp you happen to buy are already cooked, then I'd just use different food for your tank and eat the shrimp yourself. In real life, we cook our food for sanitary reasons--to kill bacteria, parasites, and the like. For your tank, if you're worried about the quality or cleanliness of raw shrimp, simply freezing it first will kill most bacteria and all parasites.

Hope that helped.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you are feeding a anemone more then once every several week than its to much if you have the proper lighting then you never need to feed an anemone and once people gat past that then they will have longer living anemones. Now as for the shrimp if you must feed ? It should be RAW who cooks for the animals in the wild ? and the shrimp is loaded with phosphates not a good thing ..

8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Thats just what it says on the package Its frozen cock tale shrimp and it was in my moms freezer so I gave it a try. I did not cook it. As far as my Lights go as listed.

90 Gal Reef 150lbs LR

(3) 96w 6700K - 10000k - Actinic 03 PC
    (2) 65w Actinic 03 - 10000 PC
    (2) Moon Lights
    (1) 9w 10000k PC (1) 9w Actinic 03 PC (Fuge Lights)

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

LOL, leave it to RS to come up with a post like that....

But +3 on the why would you feed cooked shrimp? I am sure its not bad for your tank but I am also sure there is very little nutritional value compared to uncooked.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Im on a tight budget and it was there =)

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Cooking anything denatures the protein and breaks it down. I'm not sure whether or not having cooked shrimp is any worse than feeding normal shrimp. But... if you're into feeding your fish cooked anything, i'd go with a nice tenderloin, seasoned with montreal steak spice, and just a dab of honey garlic BBQ sauce; apparently anemones enjoy steak too! ;D

1 person likes this.