feeding candy cane

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by coaster, Feb 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coaster

coaster Astrea Snail

How do you target feed your caulastrea? Is there a tool that would make this easier? I've been using mysis and trying to get it to land on the head of the candy cane is very difficult by hand. And hit or miss, usually miss just shooting them in their direction.
    Any suggestions?
    Darren.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

If you have children, use their medicine dropper, and suck up the mysis. At the end of the dropper the opening is big enough.

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Hmm, I have a candy cane coral and never knew you needed to feed it. I've had it for 2 1/2yrs and have never fed it. Your question made me do some research and they do recommend feeding it. The only thing I put in my tank is some Kent Marine plankton every 1-2 weeks to feed my coco worm.

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

candy cane coral will close up fast when they eat

6. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

If you use something like copepeze the coral have a beter chance of grabbing and hanging on to the food

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have a candy cane(trumpet) coral as well. There is no info as to how or what to feed the coral in Eric H. Borneman's "Aquarium Corals book! I have been just feeding phyto and zoo. Maybe I should try and target feed with brine or something similar like Cyclops. I don't know if rotifers will be too small.

10. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Use cyclop-eeze to target. Squeeze a little of the food in eat head and watch the heads close. I also target feed my brain, sun coral, and some mushrooms.

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use Mysis but turn off my powerheads and only put 1 mysis on each mouth. You could say my caulstrea corals have put on weight....hehehe

Jay

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you only seen this coral when I first got it. Skinney big time. I use my fingers to feed them. First get them in feeding mode. Wait till after 1 hour after lights out. They should start extending their tenticles then or put in a few drops of Microvert or other food to get them in the mood. Then cut off the pumps and smear the mysis by hand. Keep watching and make sure they all eat 1 mysis. Do this mabey 1 or 2 times a week and you will have good growth, provided all other parameters and light/current are correct.

Jay