feeding and when

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by stemanc, Jun 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue

what happens if they are over fed..

2. Click Here!

3. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

I feed once a day to once every other day depending on what I'm feeding and how fat my fish are. I also rotate between flakes, pellets,frozen shrimp,krill,myssip shrimp, cyclops,nori sheets and live macro algae for our tang. Also feed pyro for the filter feeders and garlic soaked on the nori for our tang.

I try not to overfeed to keep algae in check, have just a bit of cyano at the moment in a couple spots.

Cat4wisson

4. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

The fish get fat, they Product more waste, which can feed various algaes in the tank to grow out of control. Also uneaten food can accumulate in the tank which can cause water quality issues.

Fish don't need to eat constantly, I have been very successful in only feeding every other day, even though I feel guilty not feeding every day the fish don't seem to mind when I miss a day. Most of the fish/invertebrates pick off the live rock anyway so my feeding isn't their only source of food in the tank.

5. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

I feed my fish 1 time a day switching off between specialized flake food and seaweed paper... all fish seem to be thriving!