feeding and when

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by stemanc, Jun 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stemanc

stemanc Feather Duster

hi all just a question how many times a day do you all feed ur fish and how much

;D

2. Click Here!

3. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

as much as they can eat in like 8 minutes and once about supper time. I have done the every other day but I like the every evening one better!

4. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

I do twice a day. But I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I feed a very tiny amount once every 2-3 days.

I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 blenny.

Each time I feed, I use something different (they have 4 choices that I cycle through).

I'd say it's better to have underfed (not drastically) than overfed fish. Even though it seems counter intuitive in a way.

Some fish require more often feeding or like to have algae sheets that sit in the tank for long periods... what kind of fish are you asking about?

6. stemanc

stemanc Feather Duster

all and just wondering how people feed their little buddies

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I feed once a day except for missing one or two days a week. The amount is hard to quantify because it totally depends on what I'm feeding that day. I target feed a lot of my LPS which means that my fish steal a lot of their food so those days a lot gets fed.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I drop food into the water... is that what you're asking?

when it's pellets, I drop a few at a time. After the first ignored pellet, I stop.

when it's flakes, I drop a few whole pieces and crumble some others up (in hopes my gorgonian might take some). They get less food when it's flake day.

when it's a dropper full of zooplankton, I do it at a PH. This also feeds my corals (actually, when I use zoo, I am feeding my corals, the fish eat too so I time it out so I don't overfeed)

when it's a little bit of thawed out, home made food mix, I do it at a PH for same reason as above.

The order changes depending on my mood. ;)

I also dose phyto for my feathers, etc. I do that at a PH too.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

good point. on LPS and blasto target feeding days (for me once a month), I make a point to not feed the fish that day anything else. I also target feed at night to reduce the amount the fish steal. thieves.

11. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a clown, sailfin tang, sixline, shrimp(s) and some corals, I feed twice daily, a.m., a small pinch that I hand feed the three fish and shrimpies, same in p.m., a bit of nori rotated with food grade gracilaria from my fuge for tang. Every few days I hand feed a serpent star a piece of raw shrimp or algae wafer. Cyclopese for polyps. Food types for fish and corals, rinsed frozen foods: H20 life marine fusion, Formula 2, mysis shrimp, nutrafin max complete flake when it's flake time. I thaw my cubes in fridge add garlic juice, and I use pinches from one cube for a few days, then I toss what's left. I use the measurement: a fish's stomach is about the size of its eye, so my food lasts a while.

1 person likes this.
  12. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

wow... you have all the fish? And the inverts? ...must be one hell of a fish room. j/k :p

I feed whatever my fish will eat in 3-4 minutes on Aquadine and Mysid back and forth. I give the tank 10ml of DT's 1-2x a week into the over flow so it gets to the fuge for the pods.

Spot feed the corals that eat 1x a week or so w/ the mysid shrimp.

So far so good. I need to cut back on my flake feeding tho, I am getting red slime algae, which is a sign of over feeding from what I've been told.