Feeding a Reef

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by oceansurf, Nov 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You should stop dosing until you get your test kit. The reason people have told you that you shouldn't need it with weekly water changes is that, when you mix new salt water it is balanced to have the correct calcium levels. This means every time you do a water change you are adding the needed calcium to your tank. The reason to dose is if your tank has enough calcium consuming organisms in it that the level is dropping below 400 between water changes. This usually takes quite a large stock of stony corals or clams to become a problem. Depending on how long you have been dosing, your calcium level could very well be at dangerously high levels. Every time you do a water change and dose you are adding more to the system, and without enough animals taking it out it will build up.

When you get your test kit, test your water right after a water change and record the level. Wait a week without dosing, and test again. This will tell you how much per week your calcium level is dropping. Repeat this procedure for a few water changes so you can get a good sense of what your calcium is doing. If your calcium is never below 400 for the pre-water change test, you will not need to dose anything. If it is below 400 start by dosing one drop calcium in the middle of the time between water changes. Give it a couple of weeks again doing the pre and post water change tests to balance out and give you some good readings. If it is still low dose a second drop each week between water changes.

I know it may seem to be a slow process that will take weeks for you to feel good about your calcium level, but remember everything must happen slow in a reef. Coral responds best to changes in very small and slow amounts.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have merged all five of your threads regarding this topic. Please post any further questions regarding this subject on this thread rather than starting another one. THanks.

4. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

How Old ?

My tank is 2 years old.

5. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

How Old ?

Thanks everyone for all your help. I have stopped dosing & the calcium levels are good. I guess you were right. The weekly water changes should be enough. As to what corals I have, I'm ashamed to say, I don't know. I just know I asked for ones that were addressive & spread quickly & they are doing that. I am glad to see my frog spawn coming back & I do have a blue mushroom. It doesn't look too well, but I haven't given up on it.
    Thanks again for all your help 1

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

good to hear ocean. hope all works out for you. mushrooms are hardy and im sure it will be ok too.