Feeding a Reef

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by oceansurf, Nov 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

My tank is about 2 years old.What is mysis ? Is it much the same as the vitamin I mentioned ? How often would you add it ? What about adding calcium

I have been considering adding a teaspoon of each every second week. Is that too much ?

2. Click Here!

3. russellbravo

russellbravo Plankton

in such a small volume, sea salt should be enough for trace elements.
    mysis shrimp is what some corals eat.
    u can feed ur coral 2-3 times a week..
    just dont over feed or you'll eventually start battling algea.

4. oceansurf

Once a week I feed my fish & corals with frozen shrimp. I use a turkey baster to put it right into the coral. My sea aneome just gobbles it right up.

5. oceansurf

Chemicals

I am not overly happy with my 10 gallon nano tank @ present. It use to be beautiful ! I do weekly water changes & everyone is telling me that is all I need to do. It is not working. The water checks out well. Everything seems to be right on. You hear so many different opinions. I read today that one guy thinks water changes are unnecessary. What is a person suppose to think ?

I am considering adding a weekly dose of Marinvit ( strontium & trace elements ) for ornamental algae, stony corals & invertebrates & also a weekly dose of calcium. ( only a drop of each )

It has to help, don't you think ?

What is your opinion ?

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

As for dosing, just get test kits for anything your going to dose. I'm not sure what is wrong with your tank now. What is it your trying to achieve?? I think most people do at least some water changes. There are tanks that are self sufficient and with dosing to replace trace elements don't need water changes.

Edit: Just saw it a 10gal Nano. So its pretty safe to say your going to need water changes.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

How about a pic of the tank now? Nanos are difficult to maintain in the sense of appearance and keeping nuisance algae at bay. I recently added a sterilizer (although I was not a fan) and I do see improvement. Poly filter Pads are also a plus. Let's see the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

I am mainly trying to increase the health of my coral. I only have 2 @ present. (frogspawn & button ) The button coral seems to be decreasing in size & the frogspawn seems to be dead. I separated the frogspawn & put it in that dark places @ the bottom of the tank. That is what people told me to do.

It's funny everyone says frogspawn is so easy to grow & yet I have a beautiful sea anemome. My LPS can't believe I have one in a 10 gallon nano. Seems I have luck with the hard things & mess up with the easy things. That is why I am considering chemicals.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Get some test kits for Cal, Alk, and Mag. That will give you an Idea of what if anything your gonna need to dose. If those are off that will affect your corals but not your Nem.

11. oceansurf

I apologize. I am still living in the stoneage & do not have the technology to send you a pic. I'm probably the only one on this site who could say that. Can you possibly help me in any way without one. I'd appreciate it.

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Right now there is not a lot for other people to work on, we don't have a lot of information about your system. A lot of the time it's easy to maintain a good looking tank for a while but eventually things change and bad things build up or deplete in the water, so we really need to get a better idea of what you're working with.

It will help a lot to understand what you have for filtration, flow in the tank, fish stock, maintenance schedule, the whole setup basically. If you look at the ASAP forum there is a template to fill out which might give you a better idea of what is required for other people over the internet to figure out what the problem might be or at least provide suggestions.