Feed my red scooter blenny!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Pepperyfox, Jun 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

My first impulse buy.... I mistook him for a different type of fish... When he is OBVIOUSLY a dragonet and now I am worried I don't have enough pods to feed him. My tank has been up for 6 months and I have a refuge. Anybody have any advise on how to feed/ cultivate/ buy pods for him. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Start out trying some blood worms.
    Does this tank have a sump?
    Have you thought about buying supplemental pods?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

They are dragonets. Supposedly LFSs started calling them blennies so that they would be easier to sell, as people would think they were easier to take care of. It seems to work...
    How big is your tank? How old?

You could also try Nutramar Ova, I think there is a thread somewhere on 3reef, on how to use it to get them eating prepared foods. Also, this has some good info :http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-month/mandarin-dragonette-fotm-may-08-a-47991.html

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You've also got the option of returning the fish :)
    However if your determined to keeping him/her you have many options for purchasing copepods-check out 3Reef sponsors or my personal favorite LiveCopepods.com
    Is your scooter eating prepared? Several types are readily accepted. Nutramar Ova/Hikari blood worms/frozen brine shrimp/New Life Spectrum Pellets just to name a few.
    Good luck!

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

how big is your tank?

You can easily culture your own pods. Get a shallow, round dish (we use a pyrex round shallow cassarole dish-white helps you see them) and fill it with some saltwater. Add a bottle of tigger pods in there and that is really all you need to do. Once a week add a drop or two of phyto. About every week or two you can do a water change by swirling the water until it creates a small tornado in there. The pods will be in the middle and the shells/waste stays on the outside and siphon it out.

You do not need air stone or anything like that. Just make sure you keep up with the top off as the salinity can go up quickly wiht that small amount of wter

7. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

Yes we have a sump. My tank is 110 g mixed reef. And I was going to buy some more copepods today to stick in the sump. But how do they get out to the dt? Do I draw them out in a baster or something and squirt them in the dt? I saw a thread on copepod condos ... Looks like it is a really good idea.

8. Click Here!

9. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

My tank is 110g mixed reef and has been up for six months. Thanks for the info! :)

10. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

Thanks!

11. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the info. I also have a sump (110g mixed reef) Is it more effective to cultivate in a bucket?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The pods will get sucked up by your return pump and transported to the display.