Federal report shows declining loggerhead turtle populations

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a soft spot for turtles after I got one from somebody who didn't want it anymore... so this article depresses me a bit. Loggerhead turtle populations are severely taxed by trawling, long line fishing, plastic bags which they swallow because they think they are jelly fish, nesting spots that get 'developed' and holidays like Lent when thousands are killed as a substitute for red meat.

If you are curious about conservation, check out this great site I've linked to before in the past:
    SEATURTLE.ORG

-----

" WASHINGTON (AP) -- After encouraging gains in the 1990s, populations of loggerhead sea turtles are now dropping, primarily because of commercial fishing, according to a federal review.
    art.turtle.ap.jpg

A loggerhead sea turtle swims to open water after workers from Miami Seaquarium released it November 21, 2006.

The report stops short of recommending upgrading the federally threatened species to "endangered" status. But scientists and environmentalists say it should serve as a wake-up call about the future of loggerheads, which can grow to more than 300 pounds and are believed to be one of the oldest species.

"We are very concerned," said Mark Dodd, a wildlife biologist for the state of Georgia. In 2006, the state counted the third lowest loggerhead nesting total since daily monitoring began in 1989..."

More info:
    Federal report shows declining loggerhead turtle populations - CNN.com

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

On a vacation a month ago I visited a sea turtle hospital. Got to see them operate on a sea turtle hit by a boat prop and then got to see the recovery room. What was especially interesting was the half hour discussion I had with the Marine Biologist there that is in charge of their water params.
    Here is a pic. This place is open to the public.

[​IMG]

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Maybe we could have a Donation drive like the PCRF Donation Drive. Pick out one hospital who we think it should goto or split it up and send it to several rescue centers.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting idea. hmmm...

Nice! What is this place and what did the Marine Biologist have to say?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is this the Guy on Dolphin Key Fl. I stopped in there once when he was in a little shed and old gas station and had loan of a old pool to house the sick ones in ? That was about 1995 or so . Was doing studies on Herpes virus that was taking its toll on them..After the term Herpes was used I could not leave and get out fast enough LOL Man the turtles look gross

7. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Here is a few more pics of the operating room and stuff. I included a pic of the brand salt they use. That will make some folks happy. They are using something similar to bio balls just a different shape and the skimmers!...Im sure some of you know more about this big time stuff much better than I do. Of course everything is automated. 4-full time people and I dont know how many volunteers. Several Doctors on staff also. Very interesting place. These people do care about those turtles!!! Marine Biologist mainly talked about how easy it was to maintain the water outdoors. No carbon dioxide buildup and in reality the animals do not need direct sunlight so the water is relatively stable. Her biggest issues were keeping those condensers going for chilling when the temps went to 100-110 degrees! This is on Jekyll Island GA. If you want some info on the place just say so. Ive been going there for years. Great place if you like laid back empty beaches.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nice place I have been to the island once it was very nice I know it did nt look like the place In the upper Fl Keys. But as I recalled it he /they where talking about the new digs to come.. :) I can't recall that guys name and they had a few local vets and biologist to help them out with the surgical needs biological needs..

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looks like a top notch place. Glad to know there serious people at work on this. Karma to ya jimw369.

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Matt:

If you are really interested in sea turtles the Turtle center also offers a tour of sea turtle nests in the early AM hours. I think like 4-5am. They offer these limited tours during nesting season. You get to see them count and check the eggs and do what ever it is a turtle biologist does. This year the nests were way way down on the island. Normally I think they said a few hundred but this year only 48 so far.

I started this saltwater addiction thing six months ago and before that never gave a thought about all this stuff. Now I wonder about the soap I put in my washing machine.

All the stuff Ive caught, chopped down, and shot in my lifetime and now Im turning into a tree hugger. Go figure?

12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

The school I used to teach at had a partnership with Mote Marine Lab in Sarasota. They funded some satellite transmitters for Mote and I had the opportunity to slap on some nesting females a few summers ago and my students tracked the turtles' migration online at seaturtle.org.
    Reminded me of the reason I got my degree in Marine Bio...the joys of field research...laying on a red tide plagued beach waiting for a giant reptile to slowly pull herself up a beach and dig a big hole....