Featherduster question

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by szogun, Feb 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Hi i recently saw a black worm coming out of my feather-duster and its moving is it going to die
    should I take it out ?

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Is the worm coming out of the tube?  Is the duster open or closed (feathers in or out)?  Has it lost it's plume?

I'd look around the tank to see if you see a ring of feathers drifting around the bottom.  If you do, chances are the little duster got stressed.  I wouldn't take him out just yet, there are ways to care for them if this happens.

The other thing is that dusters have interesting ways of reproducing, so I'd give him some time.  

My greatest suggestion is to take a pic of what you see and try to post it up.  

Keep us posted.

4. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

OK here is the pic not to sharp but i got it
    the worm is out there is no tube at all
    but its moving and its alive what you think is it going to survive

Attached Files:

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

its hard to tell if it will survive or not. i had one leave the tube and it dissapeared but also they will leave the tubes and relocat and build another tube if there not happy where they are put. just keep an eye out he may just be looking for another lot for his tube.

6. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Ok I have a new feather duster should I put him on the rocks or into the sand what placement do they like? on top between the rocks or on the bottom in the sand ?

7. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

You should put him in a hole on the rocks or stick him between two rocks and he will sorta root himself down.

8. Click Here!

9. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Try to keep sand from getting in the tube. Also watch out for inverts that might pick at the tube. I had an Emerald crab pick at my duster's tube, the stress was too much and he eventually left the tube, after that it was just a matter of time before he had to take the porcelain express. :'(

Since then I just look at Feather duster s and get teary eyed. It was the first death in my tank. [smiley=disappointed.gif]

I hope you have better luck with yours. Oh, yeah, remember that they are filter feeders. If by any chance, and it is very possible, the duster losses it's plume, the feathers, then spot feed him, some people say clam juice, others feed zooplankton, or just frozen foods dissolved in tank water. But do this until he gets his feathers back, which he will if all is good.