Feather Duster

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Guest, Jan 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I purchased a feather duster about 2 weeks ago. It was doing fine and looked healthy until last night I noticed that the worm came out of its casing. It was alive laying on the floor of the aquarium. The casing was not smashed or anything. Can anyone tell me if the worm will eventually make a new casing or if it will die being outside of it? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Stacie,

Welcome and do feel free to register here!

I am not an expert as I've never owned one of these bigger polycheates, but if there are no predators, I believe this may be normal behavior and it will rebiuld its casing.  I will check and see if I can find some info or link to post that will be more definitive.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A month or so ago a few of us went over this scenario if you do a search..

I believe myself and at least one other person found that they tend to die eventually once they have left their tube.

Maybe you will be luckier though. :-/

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you both for your replies. It appears that the feather duster did die. :'( Maybe I will try another one somday.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That's a bummer Stacie. Hope we were of some help. Do join and feel free to post anytime!

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

They can definitly survive with out there parchment casing, they'll simply build a new one. The problem I see is *why* did it jump ship? They usually only do it because of 3 reasons, air had been trapped in it's casing due to air handling (lifting it out of the water) by any person in the COC (chain of custody), water quality and eternal stress (fish or other animals bothering it). You shouldn't ever lift them out of the water *IF* they're tube has been compremised (hole/torn at base) and even if not its still a good idea not to. I wouldn't even transport them with air in their bag as they don't need much and it can get trapped.

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i had one that climbed out of the casing and died but the one i have now climbed out of the casing with feather still attached and just moved to another spot he rebuilt his home. that one just wanst happy where i put him

10. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I was wondering, was it the "whole worm" that came out or did it just pop it's "head" off(the feather part)? When I brought mine home he looked great for about a week. Then it decided to pop it's head off! I thought that it kicked the bucket until I was told that they will do that under stress. I waited it out and after about 2weeks, he's feather dustin' again!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the one that dissapeard of mine the whole thing crawled out and popped its feathers. the one now the whole worm moved with feathers attached

12. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

:'(
    My duster kicked the bucket on me. It was the first of my creatures to die. It first lost it's plume. Then craweled out, and died outside of it's tube. I'm pretty sure it had alot to do with the water quality. It was purchased the day my tank was first set up out of ignorance. Just showing the importance of letting the tank complete it's cycle.