Feather Duster

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by VooDoo, Jul 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

So in my big tank I have a large feather duster and last week the "crown" fell off. It is still alive and seems to be doing ok but I'm just not sure. I have read that they sometimes shed there crown but I have never personally seen it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks a bunch!!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Don't know the exact cause, but I've had that happen twice- 2 different tanks and worms. They regrew the crown in about 2 - 3 weeks and were perfectly fine for years afterwards.

4. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

Excellent! Thank you :)

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I believe this is them trying to reporduce.

6. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

The girl who bagged a feather duster for me at the LFS didn't really know what she was doing when she accidentally gave me three separate worms. Two of them had shed their crowns and were attached to the one with it's crown still intact. So, to the casual viewer, it looked like one single creature. I physically broke the three tube apart and with a week or two the crowns started to grow back.

I never saw them lose their crowns and I never asked why, so I can't really comment on that. Although it's been said that they lose them due to stress, so that may be something to consider. I personally wouldn't worry too much.