Feather Duster Sudden Crown Problem??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by HollyG, Apr 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok. I am unsure of exactly what's going on. I hear that coco worms and feather dusters will lose their crowns if they are very stressed and in horrible conditions. The thing is I have 3 other feather dusters that are doing perfectly fine and all of my coral are doing great!
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 0-2ppm
    pH 8.2

The other thing is that the crown on this feather duster is losing only 1/4 to half of about 6 individual "feathers" so far one is actually still hanging on. I don't know if this fits the typical pattern of a feather duster losing its crown due to stress? It kindda seems like something is chewing the "feathers". Any pests that normally do this to feather dusters? This feather duster is actually closter to the substrate than the other 2 are, dunno if that matters. Yesterday the whole crown on that feather duster was normal then when I woke up this morning 6 of the "feathers" seemed to be chewed in half. Will feather dusters "shed" their crowns and re-grow fresh new ones or anything? I don't know over alot about my feather dusters in that sence. The feather duster itself seems perfectly happy though! I had recently had a little accident with this feather duster and I accidentally caught it's tube when cleaning the glass and it tore almost the whole tube right from the rock! The body of the feather duster was showing and I actually figured I had killed it. But that was about 2 weeks ago and since then it has rebuilt it's tube beautifully! And actually as I type it is working on it's tube right now. The crown is always out except when startled then comes right back out again in about 5 or 6 seconds. It's acting just as it did since I have had it, for nearly 5 months now! Just don't know what's happening to it's crown?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Holly

it could be predation, something reaching in and damaging the feathers
    have you changed the flow recently in terms of amount and or positioning
    as heavy direct flow can also cause extended crowns of feather do crease IME

the good news is, that if the crown is considered an inferior device for catching foods by the worm, it can discard it and grow a new one
    which is what happened to mine after its brief encounter with a badly aimed power head

Steve

4. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

It's not in a high flow. It's in a flow that is just enough to sway the crown. So it's not a flow damaging it.