Feather Duster pulled from tube!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NittyGritty, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

M wife bought a purple and gold feather duster tonight (she loves feather dusters) and when I placed him by boxer shirp came up and pulled him right out from his tube and took off with him. My wife freaked. I put him in a tupperware to protect him but what else should I do?

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I've had a feather duster bail from it's tube. Given the opportunity and as long as it doesn't fall to predation, it will create a new tube.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunately you are probably going to have to remove the CBS if you want to keep feather dusters. Not all shrimp do this but some do and once they get it in their atom sized brain they usually do not let up.

The feather duster might survive the trauma and build another tube, I never had much success with that.

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

We already have a duster for about a year now with no issues.... hopefully he grows his tube back...

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What's a boxer shirp?

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

shrimp, coral banded shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

as long as nothing eats or kills the feather duster it will build a new tube. I have hundreds of them in my tanks and they build tubes, abandon them and then build new ones. Shrimp may have to go...once they find something they like to do (or eat) its hard to stop them. their tubes are made of protein and stuff they filter from the water ( feed them zooplankton to provide protein and stir up some sand for them to filter from the water and bam they build new tubes)

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

As long as the original tube is not damaged, you might try to get him to go back in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I'll agree that the shrimp will have to go, though. IMOPE, once any critter goes rogue on you, there's no breaking their habit.

11. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I had a cluster duster and my CBSx2 totally destroyed it, i'm suprised he ain't popped his crown, whats that tube made of anyways?