Unresolved Feather duster? maybe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Mikachase, Feb 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mikachase

Mikachase Astrea Snail

While searching my tank for a tiny star fish I found the other day I found yet another new discovery. This one has me puzzled though. It looks like a feather duster worm but it moves around its tube isn't hard and stuck in place like most if not all feather dusters I have seen.http://youtu.be/JDTaFK2Q6z8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

The video's not working :-/

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

That is very cool.....I've not seen something like this before......I hope it's not a bad thing.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Definitely not a feather duster. Very well could be a Peanut Worm. I have one in one of my tanks, although it moves a little more slowly than yours.

6. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Okay, that may be a worm that eats coral. When I had my 10 gal reef up. Something was making a wax tube around the tank, that would stop at different kinds of coral. I found that it traveled through the tubes at night and ate off coral. One day I pulled the wax tube up and it lead to a rock. I took the rock our, smashed it and found a long worm with whiskers on it's mouth. If this isn't a really long feather duster, watch your coral and for a wax like tube on rocks and in the sand.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'd be a little reluctant to make that call. In the first part of the video, it most definitely extends a feathery crown outside the tube. FWIW, both my hawaiian and dwarf colored feather dusters did the same exact thing until they found a suitable position in which to attach the tube to the rock. Only the coco worm builds a non-flexible tube.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Ahh, you are correct. I re-watched it and turned the quality all the way up. I missed it the first time I watched.

I have changed my opinion that it now appears to be a feather duster! :eek:

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

What kind? Cause all 200 of mine don't do that. (Move around)

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, what a cool find! Did it come on/in a piece of LR? What?

12. Mikachase

Mikachase Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the replies. We are gonna keep an eye on him. He has been in the tank for at least 6 months because that is the last time we added anything. So far all of the corals are doing great. Our green star polyps are exploding all over the place along with our tree coral. I found a video of what someone called a peanut worm and it looked very similar...who knows lol.

;D At least Im not as panicked as when I first found it. When I first started getting into saltwater I read this story about this guy who had to take his entire tank apart because he had some worm that was eating all his fish and it was like 4 feel long or some crazy thing like that. So when I see something I cant identify I get a little scared.