Favia question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by TravisVT, May 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I am looking into adding a little more filler coral to my main tank. I originally started out thinking I wanted a fowlr, then I added a few corals (2 hammers and 1 frogspawn) - now I want more :)
    I tried adding a small zoanthid frag last week but my queen angel found it very appetizing. I know I am lucky my queen doesn't go after my other corals but do you think I have a chance of adding some favia? I also have 2 fire shrimp, will they bug favia? Is there any other type of coral you would recommend? I am looking for something that will spread and cover a small area of my live rock.

Thanks for any help as I don't know much about the coral world

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can try it, but I would not be too surprised if the Angel nipped it.

If you have not tried you can add Angel type foods like sponge and marine algae and see if the helps keep the Angel away from corals.

I never had an issue with my Fire Shrimp, but I would not be surprised.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Although some people consider them weeds, what about Green Star Polyps, Anthelia, or Xenia? They are less expensive, grow fast, and could take some abuse from an Angel (which would likely leave any of the 3 alone).

If you did try a brain coral, try a small frag first so you don't waste your money. Most LFS will have small Acan frags you could try.

The shrimp are only an issue if they are underfed. My Fire Shrimp barely bothers my corals at all. I make sure to leave some food for him next to the corals though.

5. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

I agree on the GSP, tha stuff is fairly bullet proof.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Star polyps are one of my favorite corals and it grows fast. It took awhile to find some that was neon green so be patient.