Favia coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by flounder, Jan 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flounder

flounder Astrea Snail

I was wondering if anyone knows how favia corals (aka brain corals) spread. For example, will they spread out like zoos or will they branch like hammers?

If you have favia's i am also interested how and what you feed them...
    thanks

2. Click Here!

3. argan

argan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Open brains are sort of like non branching hammers in their growth, and many favites like pinapple and moon corals are encrusting. It seems silly to me that favites are referred to as closed brains. confusing IMHO. I have a large green metallic open brain, and an unidentified hitchhiker favia. I don't feed the favia anything and it has grown from 7 polyps to about 20. just made sure it was well lit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

First of all welcome to 3reef! I hope you enjoy it here and are very successful in your marine hobby endeavors. Now, as for feeding favia which is different from favites(both known as closed brains and moon coral) in that favia have distinctly separate corralites. Placing them in a subtle water flow area with brine shrimp, rotifers and cyclops will suit your brain and offer them a nice nutritional treat! Many times you will notice transparent sweeper tentacles/feeding tentacles once this tactic has been employed.

Usually favia will spread through asexual reproduction in the form of polyp buds. You can also frag them and as for the growth of this particular coral, they grow as their skeleton grows. They are hermatypic corals thus contain a calcareous skeleton and through calcium and strontium absorption, this oversaturation causes this calcium and strontium to precipitate forming their skeleton with which their tissue grows upon!

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

mine just continued to expand or open. It didn't branch out...

7. nemosworld

nemosworld Plankton

I have mine in the sand, should i remove it and place it on a rock?

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Favia will want to encrust on to rock so you probably should give it somewhere to spread. I'm honestly not positive what happens if it reaches sand on all sides though, I do not think it will grow nearly as fast as if it has fresh rock to grow onto though.

Also for future reference, this thread was over a year and a half old, I wouldn't worry about creating a new thread for your specific question, it's probably more likely to get answered as well. :)