Fastening corals

Discussion in 'Frags' started by rashr, Apr 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rashr

rashr Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was wanting to know what you guys use to fasten corals to your rock? I have seen super gel glue, epoxy, and other items but the way I have my rocks I really can't or don't want to take out the rock(s) to glue the corals to them.....any info or advice would be appreciated.......As you can tell I am a newbie and as of right now all I have are mushrooms and they were easy to place. I was wanting to go up to like a fox coral, torch coral, Frogspawn, and or Finger Leather. Being new to this I was told these were good choices for beauty and ease of care.....any input on this would be great too! Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

For soft corals that are already attached to a rock, I use epoxy. For soft corals that are not already attached to a rock, I use a rubberband or toothpicks to secure the coral to a piece of rock first, then attach that to the rockwork with epoxy. For LPS corals, I use epoxy. For sps corals, I use super glue gel to attach the coral frag to a piece of rock first, then attach that to the rockwork with epoxy.

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Some people have used wire ties(plastic). Don't know how effective though!

1 person likes this.
  5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I use aquastik epoxy for hard corals or softies on rock. Softies not attached to rock, I use a mesh net to keep them on the rock and let them take to it naturally. Of course, if it's a soft coral that does not take to rock that easily, like Colt, using rubber bands is a better choice, but might squeeze it.

I used Zap gel for a while but stop using it because it cures extremely fast under water. Zap gel would be better suited if taking rock out to glue frags on.

6. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

We use IC-Gel, Super thick! Works in or out of water. If glueing to rockwork inside your tank, use an extra amount. As soon as it hits the water a membrane will form over the glue, just push hard enough onto the rock to pop the membrane spread the glue a little and hold in place for 30-45 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  7. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

Leather coral help

I realize this thread is a few years old, but its what came up when I searched for "leather coral" under frags...maybe someone can help me out...
    I was given 2 leather corals, both a fairly decent size & none are mounted to anything. One of the 2 was damaged when given to me, it lost its "stem" & only the cap remains. It seems to be surviving, but now its just kinda hovering along the bottom of my tank. Since this one doesn't have its stem, do you think securing it with a rubber band to a flat piece of LR will do? Will it eventually grow back? And for the other one, can I just bury it in the sand, or does it to need to be mounted to a rock? Thanks everyone!

8. Click Here!

9. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

simply sew it to your rock. i fragged a large leather into 4 different pieces and then pierced the coral down low with needle and thread then tie to rock. all four coral frags are grown back to there own mushroom shape now. this will work for your cap real well and the stem will grow back

10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I use the super glue gel from the dollar store! i get like 10 tubes for a buck super cheap and works perfectly!

1 person likes this.
  11. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

But if you're tying it down to the rock, how does it grow back in its own mushroom shape? It grows through, or around the string? I can see securing it in place temporary so it doesn't flop around all over the tank, but Shouldn't you remove the string/rubber band at some point? I thought they eventually "take to it naturally"? And do you know if the stem grow back?

12. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

Yes, thats what I'm thinking I was gonna do, but, again, it has no stem...so, I'm unsure what part to glue down, or if I should glue it down right now...for the other one that is standing & has a stem, is it neccesary to glue it down, or is it fine just leaving it in the sand?