Fantails rest alot

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by fantails, Jan 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fantails

fantails Plankton

Hi. I would like to know what would cause my fantails to rest a lot.

I have 3 fantails, 40 gal, 3 aqua clear filters 550 gph, temp 75, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 2 sponge filters, bare bottom tank, round air stone, I fill my aquarium full

This is a video of my setup. I took this video when they were swimming around:

This video show that they rest a lot:

I would appreciate some advice. Michael

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. fantails

fantails Plankton

Sorry I posted in the wrong section. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Your temperature is too high, should be around 70 or a little lower. The flow is too great for a fancy finned fish, causing it to need to rest.

1 person likes this.
  5. fantails

fantails Plankton

I will lower the temp. What should the flow be. I have 3 filters 2 run at 200 gph and the third one runs at 150 gph. I have temp shut down my Aqua Clear 30 sow the flow now is 400 gph.

The GAB, koko's they say warmer for fancies. When you read about goldfish like fantails they say that they are a cold water fish but most people say to heat the tanks so confusing so I figured that you guys would know. When I lived in my old house I never used a heater and they had seemed more active. When I moved to my new house I started to use a heater and they seem warm and lazy now. One of my rooms will go down to about 66 in the winter so I will keep the heater set at maybe 68 or 69. I will drop the temp 2 or 3 degrees each day till it goes down.

I really want to get this resolved. Thanks Mike
    Thanks Mike

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think your observations answer your question. Good plan on lowering the temp.

7. fantails

fantails Plankton

I have 2 fantails and 1 fancy fantail. Can they both live in cooler water or do fancies need warmer? I have already started to lower the temp.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They all should be fine in the lower temp.

You could probably use only one of your filters for flow in the tank just fine.

10. fantails

fantails Plankton

I just wanted to let you know that my tank temp is at 69 F and I did remove 1 aqua clear 30 pump so now I have only 2 pumps running at 400 gph. My fish seem to be swimming much better now. I will monitor them today and see what happens. I really do believe that goldfish do better at lower temps also.

I did notice also that my ryukin when the water was warmer he started to change colors. He was loosing his orange on his pectorial fins and they were turning white and he was loosing his black strips on his fins. Since I lower the water to 69 his colors are all coming back now and he is turning more black his body and head and he now looks like he has a black moustache.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I kept a bunch of goldfish at warmer temps. Weren't active at all. Got extremely fat quick and died.

People tell you to get a heater so the temp doesn't fluctuate too much. You want consistent temps so if you can turn your heater to 70 vs removing it, that would be preferred. During the course of a day (without a heater) your temp can vary more than 8 degrees. Constant temp flucs put a dent in the immune system of any fish. Goldfish like it around 70-72.