fan buzzing

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by oldfishkeeper, Apr 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: My fans on my lights started making a high pitched noise....I've unplugged it for now. Will there be a problem with running the lights for a bit without the fan?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Depends on the light, but in general, you would only want to run them for short periods of time without a fan.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

What kind of fan? Most likely its a computer type fan. If you can take it out perhaps it can be replaced or ordered online.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It could just need some cleaning, maybe use some compressed air to clean it off. If that doesn't work and it is a computer fan it can probably be replaced fairly easily and purchased at a radioshack.

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I'd leave it in until you get a new one. If cleaning it doesn't help, measure it and find one on newegg. Radioshack is a huge ripoff on almost everything they sell and their fans aren't going to be as quiet or have as much flow as something you can get on newegg for the same price. You also may be able to find a model on amazon or ebay for cheaper, but filtering out the fans to find a model you like will be MUCH easier on newegg.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Pretty sure lowes and Home Depot sell them too. They're called axial fans and come in all shapes and sizes. I had the same thing happen to me in the middle of the night. I thought something got in my house and was attacking my cat!

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Many cheaper T5 units don't have fans; you just need to change the bulbs a little more frequently as the heat degrades the color spectrum faster.