fairy wrasse lovin' the overflow

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, Mar 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have a beautiful wrasse that has jumped into my overflow 4 times now. Do you think it's just happy in there? It's eating and all - I get him out and by the next day he's back in there. Any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

haha, yeah. or something to help him from stop jumping over. I had a very excited "male" clown that kept jumping over, I think he knew the "season" was coming up. He kept jumping over my baffle (sump clown) every stinking day. I put a strip of foam in the baffle for a couple weeks and then took it out and hasn't jumped since.

you might be able to cut some egg-crate to fit your overflow or even some of the black plastic gutter guard?

I really would try to keep him from jumping back there. It's too close of a spot to get an injury and fairy wrasses are so awesome, deserves to be out in the display all pretty and fairy-like! ;)

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

a lid on just the overflow? I know he/she is so pretty. My clowns were giving it a little chase that I saw but mainly chasing away from their anemone. I wonder if that's what is spooking it?

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

If it is jumping into the overflow I would be concerned that it may jump out. I would utilize some type of lid as well, if heat is an issue for you in the summer time you may want to do like zesty suggested and use the eggcrate/gutterguard. I would hate to see a beautiful fish like that end up on the floor.

zesty likes this.
  7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I agree, if it's jumping it's not liking something. If its aggression, you will need to address that or get a lid.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I think I need a picture, of you and the fish;)

zesty likes this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Yeah, I didn't think that this far. If you have a wrasse, get a lid! Please!

This was my little feller... He managed to jump thru a 3" crevice :(
    [​IMG]

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

He us beautiful. Sorry about the loss. I have been really thinking of adding one of these to my tank. Are they aggressive/peaceful? I know they are jumpers. Do they swim around a lot? I get tired of watching my lazy clowns poke their heads out and then dart back in.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

mine was peaceful and was a fairly active swimmer.