Urgent Extremely cloudy tank, fish dying.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by iheaps, Jul 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Hey!! Same thoughts and same time posting!! wwweeeeeeeeeeird!!! J.K!! ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

A UV sterilizer can be costly. I would do 20 to 25% water changes, for the next few days (say 3 or 4) That's what I had to do when I OD'ed my tank with Magnesium (which got my ALK sky high).

Don't get me wrong! If you can afford the UV sterilizer, I don't see how this can hurt at all.

Good luck again!

4. iheaps

iheaps Plankton

So I did another water change and I hooked up a tube to the venturi in one of my pumps to create bubbles instead of buying an air stone. This was two days ago... I thought I would take a picture of the tank from the front and another from the side so you can get an idea of what I'm looking at. Nothing has changed yet but I don't have any more dead fish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

This may also play into this, usually you get a bacteria bloom too when there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize. They are forced to go into the water column. Depending on you bioload, this may be an issue. From the looks of your tank, I would consider possibly adding more rock to provide more surface area for the bacteria.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

What does it mean when the algae goes sexual?

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

In simple terms, it means that the algae feels threatened for some reason or another and releases it's spores into the water column to ensure survival of its species. The "parent" plant(s) usually dies after it does this which releases all of the toxins that it has been taking out of the water back into the water.

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

How I understand it, its not the spores that are the real issue its the parent algae die off that causes the serious issues...

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Or a little bit of both :)

11. iheaps

iheaps Plankton

So the gracilaria I pulled out of the refugium (which was white and dying) had probably released the toxins it had been cleaning out of the water before I bought it. If this is the problem... do I just wait and hope it gets cleaned up by the skimmer and other algae? Or if it is the pores being released, what then?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Water changes and running good carbon is your best bet at this point.