Extra Extra!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Midnight_Madman, Oct 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hello Birdlady,

How deep is that tank? Lookg great BTW.

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh, I would have to go measure it....I can reach the bottom with my arm in the tank all the way so I'm a gonna guess its 24 inches.... :D

Thanks! I moved the rock since then and my coralline is really starting to grow so its looking even better now ;D

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Have you seen my gallery since I added the rock in my new 60 gallon? I have too much rock and it looks crowded. I am thinking about another tank but these two keep me busy enough. I ordered the baffles for my regugium this weekend. I have to buy the tank and let them know the sizes I need. I will pickup the tank tommorow. I am thinking about 20 gallons. Do you have any suggestions for a return pump? And what do I need to bring the water to the fuge.....I know its a box with a bent pipe but I have never seen one actually working b4.
    It always helps me to see things working to help understand the way it works. I live way out in the country and the nearest LFS with saltwater stugg is 100 miles away.

Jay

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

BL - nice tank. nice effect of the light. soon coralline will cover.....your corals will flourish....and everything will look great!

Bright (pun?) future ahead! ;)

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=lighting;num=1097339253;start=15#19 date=10/10/04 at 22:09:27]
    I think the watts per gallon is just a general rule of thumb when considering lighting.  Not a hard fast rule....just like all else in this hobby!!! ;D[/quote]

Exactly right and was a valid rule when the only lighting available was fluros which spread the light volume evenly :)

John

7. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

What happens with a high watt spotlight like 2 250 watt bulbs with reflectors? do they make different spectrum's?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

TA,

2 x 250w spotlights as in incandescent lamps?

John

10. Midnight_Madman

just wondering if they make anythign that would work?

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The reason MH is used is that it gives high light output, in the correct colour spectrum for the least amount of energy.

You can replicate the amount of light with ANY light source but you pay the price in energy costs, heat, colour spectrum etc

John

12. Midnight_Madman

so how much energy does a metal halide use compaired to a reg incadesent bulb of the same watts? Im confused :eek: