Extra Extra!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Midnight_Madman, Oct 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is a good deal. But I don't think it would be adequate for your 90 gallon, is that what you were going to put it on?

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I agree with Matt. Unless you are going with a fish only tank, you will want better lighting for a reef setup.

5. Midnight_Madman

It was for the 90. what i have now is 3 RO bulbs.. but I wanted to eventually get into some corals. Why wouldnt it be good?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well 90's are pretty tall right? These lights won't go far. You'd have to stick everything near the top of the tank practically.

On the watts side, this only works out to 2.4 watts per gallon. About half or less than what most would say you need.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

If by RO you mean regular Output, LPS and SPS corals, clams, and anemones will need MH lighting for the best results.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I bought that exact light from the same outfit. Everything works fine ans it doesent seem to too cheezy a fixture. But as you see in my signature that I updated I am no longer using it on the tank that I bought it for. I went to 250 watt halides. Man I knew the halides were bright but I didnt know it woukd look like 12 noon sunshine on my tank. I just hooked them up 2 days ago.....whew bright. If you do buy the light be sure you peel off the protective seal over the reflector b4 installing the bulbes. You can barely see it on there and I almost didnt notice it and turned them on thit the plastec on. Let me know if you want more info on this light.

Jay

10. Midnight_Madman

Did you sell the light? Maybe we can make a deal?

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have 175 W metal halide plus 2 96 watt VHO's on my 58 gallon tank and would never go back to anything other than halides!! In fact, when my ballast goes, I am going to upgrade to 250 W. The difference is just unbelievable!

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Actually I have plans for it on my other 55 gal. Sorry TA.
    For the price buy the 1 from ebay. Although mabey better off saving for the bright as sun halides. And I thought my halide days were over. Never thought I would be growing coral with em. .... [smiley=smokin.gif]LOL

Jay