external sump pumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gt40425hp, Dec 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

Well im finally puting together a sump for my 90 gallon its time to rid of the nitrate factory hob filters .. the sump is roughly 25-30 gallon and will house a asm 2g skimmer

The question is with all the external pumps on the market from what i see is the danners have leak and heat issues . eheims always have a good rep 1262 is a good choice i can see . ocean runners also a good name 5000 seems good to me .

Then we get into true externals with air cooled motors witch to me seems to be the best idea probly for the best reason is less heat transfer to the water not to mention thay seem to be alot better construction i could be wrong

I was looking at the iwaki 30rlxt great flow # at 5' head witch is where im going to be at i have yet to here a bad thing about them . then i was looking at the little giant 3-mdqx-sc seems to be another great pump seems to be a little less efficiant power consuption wise and some seay there noisy on the plus side a friend of mine has one on his reef and hes had it 8 years and has never even cleaned it to him its the only pump to own witch is nice

In the end theres alot to choose from and theres alot more i dont even know about or have looked into i guess im looking for some advice . i was thinking that i need to be arround 10x from my sump maybee thats too mutch if there is sutch a thing

At this point im stuck on the iwaki 30rlxt .. should i be looking elsewhere

Thanks fellow reefers

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Iwaki are good pumps. I used a Genx for 4 years straight on a closed loop and LOVED IT. never had a single issue from it. I have a reeflo dart and barracuda now and love them as well. with the Iwaki and Genx, you dont have to worry about a shaft seal on the pump housing. they use an O-ring design and a magnetic impeller so they are VERY easy to clean and maintain.

You cannot go wrong with these.

Here are photos of the impeller on my genx PCX 40 after 4 years of use at 24-7.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010