Expired fish food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Nemo85, Nov 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nemo85

Nemo85 Plankton

What are the symptoms a fish shows when they eat expired food?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can you provide more details regarding the type of food expired, frozen.....

How old the food is?

And any symptoms the fish is exhibiting.

TIA

4. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

If its expired (past the date on the jar/bag/bottle) and you're feeding it anyway, I think that says more about you, than what fish will eat.

There is a reason why that date is on there. If its dry food, it probably became rancid. If you are a day past the expiration probably not a huge deal, a week or more chuck it and get some new stuff.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Freeze dried and flake foods start losing nutrients the very first time you open it. Vitamin C is VERY unstable and will be completely gone within 3 months. That's assuming you are replacing the lid and storing the food in the freezer in between each use. Many of the B vitamins are unstable as well.

This is the reason aquarists supplement the vitamins and HUFAs with Selcon, Vita-Chem, GVH, etc.

If your dried food is older than 3 months old it should be tossed so if it's beyond it's expiration date, it will feed your fish but it's not giving them nutrition.

6. luspin

luspin Plankton

As far as I know, most fish foods take a long time to go bad in the traditional sense, but it doesn't take very long after the manufacturer's date for the vitamins and nutrients in the fish food to start breaking down...

-----------------

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  7. luspin

luspin Plankton

So far all the food smells fishy and that has always been the case. Thats why the question because it smells like fish food. Right now I don't have the time to hit a store with my brother flying in from Spain. I will feed them the pellets for now and hit a store next week.

-------------

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they explode.

10. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

...Everywhere.