experiences with gfo overdose

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dingo, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I've never heard of an "over-dose", but I have heard of shock due to dropping the level too quickly.

Holmes-Farley link is interesting.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. I read the article and as mentioned there is no scientific evidence but only scientific speculation that reducing phosphate too quickly may affect some very specific coral. With this being so, it is by no means a deterrent to using GFO. As with a lot of products, following directions after researching possible side affects is the prudent measure here.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I have used GFO in large quantities often. I do notice a Alk drop when I ad large quantities however I make the necessary adjustments. Per Randy's article he stated that Cal precepitation is possible and could lead to a drop in Alk. I feel that as long as I am aware that this happens, I can prepare for this. Keep in mind that he stated that it binds organics too so the lightening of corals could be due to the coral getting more light due to better water clarity.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

hmm... If you want to be technical, I think Randy's article provides a number of valid scientific hypotheses. They are hypotheses, not speculation because they provide testable predictions. However, I'd agree there isn't enough empirical evidence yet to classify any as a theory. There is considerable semi-empirical evidence and that is typically the mechanism that generates most of the advice in this hobby, as we do not have the resources for comprehensive scientific experimentation.

Regardless, I don't think anyone is recommending avoiding GFO, only being careful in how you use it.

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I use a little over 1 cup of GFO in my 70. It worked perfectly with the sps's are coloring up more!!!

7. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Can someone clear this up for me. I just installed a GFO reactor so I've been researching a little more.

One person says 1 tablespoon per 20 gallons when starting out. Another guy says 1 cup. That's quite a bit of difference. Is there different types of GFO?

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

There are different types of gfo... High capacity and normal. To start it is best to go on the low side and work your way up.
    Your tank will take an amount based on your bioload and phosphate levels or inputs. Just start small and then increase until you find what works good for you

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Everyone but BRS recommends a maximum dose of 10 grams (1 level tablespoonfull) per 10 gallons of tank water, everyone.
    Most also suggest starting with 1/2 that amount in the beginning so you don't shock the system and thats where the 10 grams for 20 gallons comes in. Its better to play it safe and start out slowly no matter what you are doing with a reef system, remember, only bad things happen quickly, all good things take time.