Experienced Shippers Needed!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Bruce, Apr 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has ever shipped corals? If you can you tell me how you did it :) overnight, 2 day? What kind of bags do you use?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I've heard of people shipping frags in small thermoses.
    All of my internet livestock orders usually come in a box. The coral in double bagged and mounted on Styrofoams upside down to ensure it doesn't pop the bag.
    I just received an order that was in a bag then the bag was in a glad disposable Tupperware container. There was a heat pack taped to the Tupperware. It was really well done and the water was 79F even though the order was coming from Missouri and spent 5-6 hours at customs.
    I would use Fed ex overnight as a minimum. Never go UPS. I had $300.00 worth of SPS lost by them. No currier will take responsibility for live good.

J

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Thanks! How do you keep the temp correct?

5. Jason McKenzie

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yes, but...couldnt that over heat it?

7. Jason McKenzie

Not usually, It's not an intense heat but a constant warmth.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yup. But i would only want to use that if its cold right? Because...the weather here in LA is getting hot...but then again...i suppose a night shipping would get cold...tough choices!

10. Jason McKenzie

30,000 feet up in a cargo plane dosen't really matter if your in LA or Vancouver it cold. But ya in the summer you are less likly to run into issues.

I was just giving all the options not exactly what you need to do. As I have no Idea were you are shipping to

J

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ya, me neither, im just gathering data...hmm thats would be a problem...90's in los angles...but then in the air its cold......

12. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I have always only shipped in a styrofoamed lined boxes. I would do at least an inch thick of styrofoam. Corals should be at the very least double bagged. Each bag should be closed and secured individually. Things like acro colonies and torches, hammers, should be floated upside down using styrofoam in the bag.

I also wouldn't recommend using any service other than overnight. Also FedEx will insure fish and corals as long as you've packaged them properly. I have filed many a complaint on behalf of customers and gotten their money back for them.

Fill all the voids in the box with bags of just air if needed. 8x8x8 boxes are the largest box you can use now before getting whacked for dimensional weight. It used to be 12x12x12 before gas started getting silly. Heat packs in the winter, cold packs in the summer. Temps in the 60's and 70's are perfect for shipping, I don't normally use either in temps like that.

Good luck.