Experience with M. meleagris (Leopard wrasse)

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Va Reef, Jun 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

After spending some time training a tiny (< 1.5") female leopard wrasse to take frozen/prepared, I'm afraid to say I've grown fond. I'm worried I'll have to sell her to someone who isn't prepared to take care of her, as they aren't the easiest fish to maintain. That being said my tank is only 34g and has a mandarin. A study of the stomach context of leopard wrasses showed that they consumed 42.5-82.9% crustaceans (roughly) and that only 1.8-10% of that was copeopods and amphipods. So in theory if it's eating frozen, will they really impact each other's diets that much? I have a nice sand bed for her and plenty of caves but also lots of open swimming space, at least for 34g.

Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would have to defer to the wrasse experts. You can just keep her until you find someone that is suitable

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would have to defer to the wrasse experts. You can just keep her until you find someone that is suitable

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Hopefully evolved will see this, I'll probably take her home tomorrow. I bought all sorts of enriched brine shrimp (already have mysis and other mixes) today.

My other question is that there are two of them in a tank together. Both are juveniles (same size) I was planning on taking the bigger one home, as this is the one I worked with however, I worry she may become male given the time spent with a smaller juvenile. I much prefer the female coloration, should I get the smaller female/juvenile instead, or are they too young to start changing?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Wrasses are very curious, and voracious.A leopard wrasse will surely cause a decrease in pod population. IME Leopard Wrasses are constantly "hunting".

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A 34 won't be big enough in the long run. It will be fine for a while, but will get cramped as it grows larger. Your mandarin is also highly likely to suffer or perish; the leopard will easily out-compete it for pods. It would probably take a couple years for it to transition by itself, but that's just a guideline; there's no guarantee on that timing.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.