Expedite your cycle! For all setting up a new aquarium.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nvizn, Jun 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I agree ya +1

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

No offense to Nvizn, but it seems like you are trying to market this to us. Some other posters are bringing up good points. I'm sure it works, but the price is a bit high...You could buy a nice coral for that, and I think most would rather cycle and buy a coral than buy this. Perhaps it is worth the money? Perhaps one bottle has many doses? I'm not going to say anymore on the subject, but above this are many valid points.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

There are plenty of ways to kick start a cycle. Adding a scoop of sand from someones tank, or some LR directly out of an established tank would certainly do so as well. Fish are pretty tolerant, after all, it wasn't long ago people cycled tanks with fish. The problem is you can't speed up maturation. That is, you can't force bacterial populations to equilibrate, before your tanks water chemistry stabilizes and higher level organisms begin to populate. There is a constant battle for space and resources in our systems. This battle needs to sort, come to a stalemate, if you will, or at least fight on the weekends LOL. So, if you want to kick start you cycle with bacteria, that's fine, but please do not misinterpret that to mean that you tank is instantly a perfect habitat for sensitive organisms, it's not. In fact it will still take many months to stabilize to the point where more sensitive corals, anemones etc... Can be kept with a high success rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can not vouch for the product, never used it. Seen the video on a number of occasions out of curiosity.

There are a lot of things that are changing the foundations of what I was taught as a new hobbyist. And quite honestly I am stuck in my ways when it comes to this hobby.

The issue with me is the title of this thread, I lean toward Crimnsons Ghost, I too believe the title of the thread may send the wrong message. That message is impatience.

" Nothing good happens fast in this hobby " That has been tried and true to my experience in this hobby more time that I care to admit.

6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

To eliminate the misinterpretation, the title has been changed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Fair enough Nvizn. :)

I thank you.;D

Hopefully we will start seeing some first hand reviews of this product. I find the whole concept extremely interesting. Anything that assist in less casualties to new tank syndrome is worth a good review.

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I would say this to all the skeptics:

There's no doubt, technology changes the way we "used" to do things. Here's a comparable analogy of technology and the way things advance: You can continue to run DOS and deny a GUI Operating System such as Windows release of 95, but it doesn't deny the fact that it's out there, more productive, functional and user-friendly than the command line. Just because you decide not to take advantage, doesn't disregard the fact of it's existence. If it weren't for the development of the GUI OS, the majority wouldn't be using a computer today. Heck, this conversation would be a moot point. The first developments of the internet were command line.

I don't know Dr. Tim from Adam, but I do have high regard for R&D.

To add: Notify all those guys moving from Halide to LED's, they're wasting their time because "I'm old school." If you don't believe that technology advances and changes traditions, than I would associate the concept with grandma claiming the computer is the devil. :)

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've not used this particular product. However I have had situations where a culture was needed. One time I took over an aquarium install from a competitor. The client told me when their grand opening was and the tank had to be installed AND STOCKED by then. OMG!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: On top on that, 99% of the rock was base rock and the sand was dry sand and not live sand.

I basically added some bacteria, added a handful of fish. Dosed more bacteria, added more fish, and on and on. It made me VERY NERVOUS but in the end, the client was happy on their grand opening and I only lost one fish. The weird thing was that the delicate fish were fine. I lost a damsel. Go figure.

11. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello All:

There seems to be several points in the thread and I will try to address them individually but let me say from the beginning - you don't need to buy this bacteria. Eventually, these bacteria will form in your tank is may take 4 to 6 weeks but they will get there. So yes you can wait - that's up to you.

1) bacteria in a bottle don't work - I did my Ph.D. on these bacteria. Everyone in this hobby is always asking for data data data - I am one of the only to provide peer reviewed published scientific papers on these bacteria in aquaria. You can get the papers from my website if you want. Past bottled mixtures didn't work because they contain the wrong bacteria so it is incorrect to say all bottle mixtures don't work - they do if they contain the right bacteria. Yes, they have a lifespan of effectiveness and yes there are limits but the science is sound which is a lot more than you can say about many things in this hobby.

2) it's unnatural - well if you want to be strict about it - this entire hobby is unnatural. As I said in my first post the bacteria I grow were originally isolated from aquaria and as I show in my publications using very detail DNA methods when you look at the bacteria in an establish tank they match what I grow and put in the bottle. All I am doing is provide the right mixture to provide a large population at the beginning instead of waiting 4 to 6 weeks for them the grow on their own. This is nothing unnatural about it.

3) Tests by hobbyists not me - There are many threads in lot of different forums with near daily water quality values showing the effectiveness of the product. And the very same product is used by public aquaria around the world. A little searching on google will show that.

4) Sends the wrong message - I don't really understand this. Nowhere do we say instantly stock with the most difficult fish or corals or keep more than normal or feed more than ever. All we are doing is providing an alternative to waiting for up to 6 weeks. We prompt fishless cycling to the point where we will give you the ammonium chloride solution for free. The fact is when people spend the amount of money they do setting-up a correct marine fish or reef system they would like to have success and they would like to have some animals in the tank sooner rather than later - yes patience is the key and we preach that but what's wrong with starting with a good amount of the right bacteria instead of waiting 30 to 45 days for the same bacteria to reach the same numbers?

5) the price is too high - that's in the eye of beholder. There are a lot of things you can spend money on in this hobby. Is having the right bacteria at the beginning worth it - that is for the individual to decide.

6) It's all marketing - I truly understand this feeling. This is a lot crap in the hobby. There has been for years. I got my first fish as a little kid in the 1960's and have been involved ever since then. This is why I am on this forum and a few others - if you have questions or problems with my products you can contact me - not anyone else. I don't post or PM people to buy my products when I read all the problems they are having, I support this site and a few others (and not some) because I believe you should be able to talk to the guy in charge and get a straight answer. Yes, there are sometimes problems - anyone who tells you there are never any problem is lying. But you don't get an operator or a voice mail maze or the run around. If you don't want to use the product fine that's your choice but before you knock the product how about doing a little reading about the science behind it and have an open mind that things can improve if they are well researched and developed.

Thanks for reading and good fishkeeping.

12. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Good info, Dr. Tim.