everythings dead and I am ticked

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by coldshot, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That's a pretty bizarre story, and sorry you had to go through all that. Any supplier should know by now that the dorid nudibranchs are sponge eaters, as it's been well publicized for years. This is the first case I've read of a Greek Goddess wiping out a tank, though. Most of the smaller nudis that die in a tank don't cause any real trouble, so I think you got the double whammy...big nudibranch, killed slowly by another somewhat toxic animal, cranking out the maximum amount of toxin before it died, then the anemone doing the same thing. That's pretty bad luck. Just about all of the nudibranchs are toxic to some degree, but usually not enough to nuke a tank. Anyway, good luck with getting it straightened out, and thanks for posting the story.

Cheers,

Don

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Oklahoma has a pretty good reef club, we have their president in on occasion to do presentations and such. Paul Whitby is his name but I don't remember the name of their club. I'm in Little Rock, AR and know of some good shops in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas but they may be a little far (we have people come from OK to see us every week, maybe you can hitch a ride).

4. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

5. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

thnx I will look into it...sounds like a plan if time and money permits....right now i am in a war against cyano....I will whip it though...thnx again.

6. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

I noticed in your thread that you said you took everything out of the tank and washed it in hot water even the rocks. Washing the equipment is fine but I would not wash the rocks. There is an enormous amount of life down deep in the rocks and washing with fresh hot water will do more harm than good. If you ever feel the need to rinse your rocks again I would just make up a batch of saltwater and rinse in that.

As far as the local fish store, don't put the entire blame on them, especially since they are your only lfs. Jed came down a bit hard on you, but I'll bet you remember to research an item in the future. Most stores have a reference book of some sort available to their customers (store copy) use it before you buy. You said the LFS knew you from your FW systems and they might not have stopped to realize you are not as experienced as first thought. Remember they deal with upwards of 100 people a week.

I understand the back issues I am fused at c-3/4 and also at l-4/5 s-1. I make the most use of long tongs to reach things and a magnet algae scraper ( get the right one for glass or plexi.) My tank is 200 gals

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009