everythings dead and I am ticked

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by coldshot, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Looks like the topic has pretty much been covered. Yeah dude.....don't get offended by some of the replys. Jed doesn't sugarcoat his responses. He is direct and to the point, always intending to help. That is the problem with web-based learning such as this. While reading a response...emotion, facial expressions, eye contact....all of that is missing so it can take a different 'tone' rather quickly. So while I have nothing more to add to the discussion, I do offer my sympathy for your situation. Believe me, you are not alone......

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, my dear farmer friend, you have me down to a tee (as they say). Thanks.

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I talked to the owner of the lfs and he said it was against his policy to make it right? kinda expected that. So I will start shopping online. I found a few good links here.

5. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

\

Against his policy?
    what the hell??? I guess he dosent care one thing about his customers and that lfs wont be around much longer under his management.
    Anywho... have you looked into chemicals on removing your algea?
    Alot of people dont like the use of chemicals in ther tanks...
    But from my past experience i have had red hair and cyno outbreaks.
    I cant think for the life of me what the product was called. But i know the chemical cleaned up my tank

6. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

Cold shot,

THe closest LFS to me also has the same attitude, I've simply had to learn to be careful trusting what the guy says. I still buy stuff from him, 'cause sometimes his shop is my only choice, with shops closing down left and right my choices are less and less.

What I have found is most LFS's dont have the budget for advertising, even in the yellow pages, but I have found stores within driving distance thru the BB's. Recently a member pointed out 3 shops that I didn't know about that I could drive to.

7. coldshot

I wont use chems for it....I have never been much on chem baths unless it is an emergency....He is the only one for miles around and calls his own shots and has been there for quite sometime. I will not go back....fair is fair is fair....

8. Click Here!

9. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Thats fine. Its all a personal prefrence lol im not gonna push it on you man.
    I just found a Lfs i been going to for years for freshwater myself, Just recently started purchaseing saltwater from them. All i have purchased have survived and they custom order fish for me for an AMAZING low price.
    For example i picked up a coral beauty today for $22.00 The store i usually go to had them for $39.00 and was smaller than the one i got today.
    Also i orderd a Yellow tang that will be here next week. I am getting him for $34.00 where as to the other stores around here are $50-60.
    I havnt ordered from piece of the reef from ebay... but i have checked them out and everything looks legit and nice to me.
    Sorry about your loss man, but take it as a lesson learned. There will be plenty more lessons learned in this hobby. I myself an learning aswell

10. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I understand how you feel, so sorry about what happened to you. I would like to recommend Foster Smith, they have great service and great prices. If anything is wrong they have always made good. I have been dealing with them for about 10 years.

11. coldshot

All is well Jed I just had a really twisted night .. without the eye contact and stuff ya came across more like Jimmy Swaggert...lol....its all good in the end....

12. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

What will you do about RO water..??
    Can you make your own..?? I can't.. So I get a 50 gal, drum filled up each month..
    Maybe someday soon I can make my own.. I order alot online, corals, etc..
    Do you have any friends there into SaltWater also.. Maybe y'all can get together once a month or two and drive to Tulsa ( I think ).. together.. Even tho it's 100 miles..
    Get a pick-up, rope and a 50 gal plastic drum..
    Unless you have your own RO unit.. I wouldn't even trust RO water from your LFS..
    I have learned my LFS makes mistakes and I have to be careful..
    I'm having trouble with the color of my corals not showing up right..
    ( has to be my lights ).. They said it could be the brand of salt I used, not the right trace elements, etc.. So I went back the next month to get different salt and do a part water change.. They acted as tho I didn't know what I was talking about..?? strange.

Hows things looking in your tank now..?? Did you have a filter with alot of carbon you could kick in.. Good Luck Budd..

Larry