everythings dead and I am ticked

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by coldshot, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I went to the LFS a few days ago (monday) and was looking for some help with the brown and red algae all over the back glass in my tank.I cant reach it to scrape it off...I have a metal spine and am limited.. The lil snails just werent cutting it. The lady at the store knows I am kinda new to SW but bought FW from em for a while. She said she had a greek goddess slug that would clean it up pretty good. So I got this slug and put it in my aquarium not knowing how toxic it can be as a defense mech...I saw it on top of the rock above my Anemone and the slug stuck its head in the disk area of the anemone and the anemone closed up on him and later that night the anemone got off the rock and swelled up like a good size nerf basketball. It kept changing shapes swelling in different areas and after about thirty mintes it went to the corner of the tank and seemed okay but only partially opened. I woke up during the night to get a drink of water and the anemone was about the size of a half dollar and about 1/4 inch tall and had some brown slime coming out of its area where the tentacles are. I have a net made from a thick plastic bag I used to catch small catfish in so I didnt tear up their fins and I got it and got the slime and the anemone out and disposed of it and got the slug and gave him a gentle spin in the toilet. I took the rock out and found everything in my tank with claws like my crabs were also gone 10 scarlet 10 hermit 2 brittle starfish 5 emerald I took all my hardware out and washed it all with the rock and scrubbed it all in scalding hot water. I done a 50% water change got my parems back up and just completed another 25% water change and everything is stable the parems are0 good...I have 1 true percula and 1 royal gramma 10 nassarius 20 turbo and 1 coral banded shrimp. I doubt anything will make it.... I didnt find out slugs were toxic until now but looked on a slug forum and read where a lady had one and it took out her whole tank when it got caught up in the
    powerhead.
    What else do you recommend I do besides find another LFS. Should I be taking out my substrate and cleaning it also and how many more water changes. I am almost out of salt until the 3rd when I get paid again....

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry to hear that.. Do you live near Mobile..? I have plenty salt you can have..

Larry

I know what you mean, I get paid the 3rd each month..

4. coldshot

Salina Oklahoma....Thanks anyway friend its a kind offer...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Run some carbon through your tank that should absorb all the nasty stuff.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, I think the lesson here is this, when you want to buy anything for your tank, you research it on the INTERNET or through forums like this one. Unless the people at the LFS know you and your set up and take the time to think things through, don't listen to what they say. Yes, slugs (sea hares etc.) will eat hair algae and so will urchins, so some at the LFS "parrot" that to customers not telling them of the possible dangers associated with those creatures, heck, they may not even know! Know this, just because some one works at a bowling alley (I am a bowling coach) doesn't mean they would be a great coach or a coach at all. I hate hearing stories like yours and I can't stress enough that we as caretakers of the creatures we house have a responsibility for their well being. We are the ones who have to take this responsibility seriously and do our homework. If you are not adept at doing research on the net, I am, and so are others on this forum.....Ask us!

7. coldshot

I came simply to get some HELP and some answers not this....maybe I came to the wrong place...
    thanks for your time

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, you didn't. You made an honest mistake that we have all made our own selves at one time or another. Consider it a learning experience like the rest of us do when we make mistakes. I would just do a water change and run some carbon as mentioned earlier.

10. coldshot

Thank's I will do that.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sorry to hear about that......I had a cuc nuke my tank when I first started..lost several cool things. Take it as a learning experience, we have ALL been there!
    I dont know how big your tank is...but there has been times that I have been out of money and could not afford to buy the usual bucket of salt. Petsmart and Petco along with some LFS (not sure in your area) sell the little 5g bags of salt for a few bucks. Always got me by until I could get the forklift size of salt that I need!
    Anyway good luck to you!

12. coldshot

Salt here is over 1.00 a gallon...they have the 5 gallon box for almost 6 bux, I do not think I can go in there again and feel the same about them. I am sure the owner knew he has been in sw all his life. Im sure he fills his employ in also...its just a small store and the only one for 100 miles so I will try to get my needs online.