Unresolved Everything is dying! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by leialittle, Sep 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Depends on the corals.

Soft corals can probably stay out longer.

My sps are out of the water for up to 20 min, they slime afterwards but go back to normal quickly.

Not sure on the LPS.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

How do you know that the chemistry of your new water will match your tank water?

4. leialittle

leialittle Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do you seriously test every single cup of water you add to your tank?

I will do a water change this weekend and test it again after.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry if I missed it but have you tested for copper? Do you add the fish store's water to your tank when introducing new fish?

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Based on reading through this thread, like other's have stated, I would look for heavy metals like copper or stray voltage. All your corals are very tolerant of most water parameter issues. Forget buying a copper test kit. Get a poly filter pad and it will change different colors depending on what metals are in the water.

As for water changes, if you can match temp and ph, you can do huge water changes without causing stress to the animals.
    You can increas ph using an air stone and decrease it by using C02 or vinegar if not too much but that can lead to a bacterial bloom. Although that beats loosing livestock.

7. leialittle

No, I don't add the fish stores water to my tank. Only what I mix. Plus it's been quite some tie now since we've bought a new fish. Probably about 3-4 months.

8. Click Here!

9. leialittle

Ok, so I misunderstood the other day. Wife DID check for copper and iron the other day. Results was a .001. So still good on that. Still losing stuff. Got 30 gallons of water mixing cuz that was the biggest container I could find.

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

If you don't test it at all, you would never know if you had a bad batch of salt.

11. leialittle

So I did a 30 gallon water change last Wednesday and another 30 gallons on Thursday, and so far nothing else has died and a few of my corals that looked like they were on their way to death has regained some life. I sure hope that was the problem. Lost 7 pieces total and 3 others were on their way.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I'm not sure why this is posted here but your depression needs attention NOW. You deserve to feel better than you currently are. IMHO, going to an Urgent Care this morning would be a good idea. Now is the time to ask friends, family and doctors to help you. Sorry if I'm over-stepping boundaries but I went through a period of depression--I get it. Reach out...