Unresolved Euthanizing fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Well it's time to kill my bloodfin tetra. It's got really bad neon tetra disease. How should I go about putting it to sleep?

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

we could have talked about this in your other thread, but you made this one too so here goes. Take the fish you want to euthanize out, in some tank water, and drip clove oil in the water, it will numb the fish painlessly, then freeze or decapitate it. you could also just flush it too. but its your call

4. SwimsWithFish

Sorry, I just figured I would start another that was more on the topic of Euthanizing. I'm not able to get Clive oil now, would freezing be ok?

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

yeah the fish just suffer more.

6. SwimsWithFish

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

clove oil is what you used to put on a sore tooth in the 90's and back, to numb the pain, any grocery store/pharmacy, should have it. but hope you dont have to euthanize anymore fish :)

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Thanks for your help:) I'll see if I can go to CVS tomorrow.

10. Mergo CS

Mergo CS Astrea Snail

Don't most lfs take back their fish?? If I do a Damsel not clowns at first, I'm taking it back to where I got it...

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would assume a freshwater fish would do the same as salt, but maybe not. But when we kull a fish we put it in a bag of saltwater and freeze it. The fish basically just goes to sleep.

However I am not sure with freshwater as the salt makes it freeze a little slower thus allowing the fish to just go to sleep.

they say flushing a fish is one of the worst ways to kull a fish.

I actually have clove oil in my purse right now! I bought it at GNC for a large black puffer that had its teeth overgrown. We were going to put the fish to sleep long enough to file its teeth down so he could eat. Inwall has done that many times to puffers

12. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I remember a couple days ago when I was debating whether to euthanize my molly due to what I thought was an advanced stage of ich. Turns out that it was bite marks from another fish, and there was white flesh peeling off from the attacks. Put him in a breeder box, and he is doing great now, but my point is: is there anything else you can do? Any meds...? have you done all you can? I'm guessing you have, and I'm not sure if the disease is treatable; I've never had it even though I have a lot of them (fortunately).