Euthanasia or treatable? (Powder blue tang has hemorhagic septicemia)

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Aquaman87, Aug 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aquaman87

Aquaman87 Plankton

About two weeks ago, I noticed several tiny white spots on my adult powder blue tang and treated for Ich with a bottled med and a freshwater dip. The next day it was much worse. It cleared up the next day after a second treatment. He behaved normally and ate healthily. Three days ago, he started breathing rapidly, formed white flakes on his skin, his fins turned reddish orange, and swam at an angle. My neighbor, who moved yesterday and no longer available, looked at him and suggested hemorrhagic septicemia. I went to Petsmart for a broad spectrum antibiotic and it seemed to help during the day cycle. Some of his color returned yesterday, his fins looked healthy, and my hopes were raised. Today, however, he spent most of the day on his side in the back corner near the heater and is not eating. He will swim momentarily as if looking for food but then sinks to the bottom and lays on his side.

I have two other fish in my 20 gallon tank-- a clown and a blennie, both of which are fine. I had the tang for about six weeks or so and it was doing wonderfully until the other day. My water levels are fine. I changed the filters, did a 50% water change, and added an additional chemical filter. My system is set up to handle 75 gallons as I plan to upgrade after gaining experience. I use only RO/DI water. I purchased another turbo snail and 10 hermit crabs just before the tang got sick and thought perhaps the inverts brought Ich to the tank. They are all alive and well.

At this point, can my powder blue recover or would euthanasia be more humane? I hate to see him suffer. I've had the tank about six months and this is my first brush with disease.

2. Click Here!

3. Mistah J

Mistah J Flamingo Tongue

This happened to a yellow tang I had a few years back and to tell the truth I euthanized the fish. It was really difficult to watch my little guy struggle, but he also looked to be suffering in the corner of my tank by the heater not really able to breathe or eat or swim...

It sucks but it may be a nicer option considering that if I am right that disease is when the fish hemorrhage out their internal organs.... Think about that **** for a minute. I would want to be saved also. (I don't think the disease is curable)

4. Aquaman87

Aquaman87 Plankton

Thanks. I just watched his last breath sadly. He rallied for a second before dying.

Should I do anything to my tank to make sure my clown and blennie remain healthy? I removed the tang immediately, much to the chagrin of my hermit crabs who had already started crawling on him.

My confidence is shaken now after losing an expensive fish. Granted I got him at a great deal as he was too aggressive for my neighbor's tank, I want to add coral and live rock soon. I like jaw fish and several others but unsure at this point what my next step should be.

I have day/moon light but need to replace bulbs for it. My neighbor upgraded from a 100 gallon to 300 gallon custom tank. He sold me some used equipment at an unbeatable price. My blennie is very timid and flees whenever I get close (how rude!). My clown is fun to watch but I really enjoyed watching the tang race around and bounce off the lid. I'd like a fish with personality.

Ideas? Suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mistah J

Mistah J Flamingo Tongue

I took this from Wiki:

Transmission

VHSV can be spread from fish to fish through water transfer, as well as through contaminated eggs, and bait fish from infected waters.[34] The emerald shiner is a particularly popular bait fish in the Great Lakes region, and is among the species afflicted.
    Survivors of the disease can become lifelong carriers of the virus, contaminating water with urine, sperm, and ovarian fluids. The virus has been shown to survive two freeze/thaw cycles in a conventional freezer, suggesting both live and frozen bait could be a transmission vector.

I don't know what to suggest honestly. To be safe just keep the tank as is for a while and observe.

also congrats to your neighbor a 300 gallon is sick

6. Aquaman87

Aquaman87 Plankton

Good info!

Thanks for the input. Hadn't checked Wiki. Didn't realize I now may have two carriers.

Not being a water-born bacteria, I doubt a UV light would have helped in this case but it is also on my list to acquire.

I'm waiting for funding to start my own business so it will be a while before my system evolves. The two I have seem happy so I'll put the brakes on again.

Again, thanks!

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Don't let it rattle your confidence too much. Powder blues are a tough fish to keep, and they are ich magnets.

All it takes is the tiniest bit of stress to set them off.

Do lots of research before your next fish purchase ... and get something rather hardy. the confidence will return, and the tank will do well if your committed to it.

best of luck and sorry for your loss!

8. Click Here!

9. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

How big was it? A 20 gallon tank is only good for the smallest of powder blues and that isn't for long. I am not saying that contributed to its death, but it could have been one of many sources of stress.