Eshopps PF nano overflow review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanomania, May 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, i had purchased an eshopps nano overflow, but never used it. im planning on a new tank and would like to know wether it is safe to use it or no? would like to know about its pros and cons...... urgent coz im giving order for my new tank on wednesday...

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

You should be just fine. I use one on my 30g and I have no complaints. Never lost siphon and with a little bit of tubing inserted into the drain it's pretty darn quiet as well.

4. nanomania

Hey kool... but what do u ment by "with a little bit of tubing inserted into the drain"

5. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

I am using one on my 20 gallon and it works great. I only lost my siphon once, and that was because a nerite decided to go overboard and lodge itself in the drainpipe. I now have a cover for it :)

It can be a little noisy(flushing sound) if you have a high gph, so you can insert a piece of airline tubing into the drainpipe to help get the air through.

I run mine at a fairly low flow-rate (~200gph) so there is hardly any noise from it at all. I have the tank in my living room and the only sound I hear is from my skimmer.

This is a great overflow box and a good option if you can't drill your tank.

6. nanomania

kool, i was anyways planning to use a plastic grill so the snails or any invert cant go in it.

7. nanomania

i am making a video on it with a timer on for two days every 30mints timer goes on and then goes off for 30 mints and in between for 3hrs on 3hrs off so lets see. will post it in a new thread. im still not getting how to insert a piece of airline tubing into the drainpipe to help get the air through so i can lower the noise......can anyone upload a pic or video?

8. Click Here!

9. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Just make sure the flow through the U-tube is fast enough to stop any air bubbles from accumulating. I also cover the overflow box inside the tank to stop things from crawling in... I lost the siphon on my first HOB overflow a few years ago when a snail lifted the u-tube above the water line.

I use a Hofer Gurgle Buster instead of the stock drain in my overflow. It is a lot quieter than the stand pipe/sponge design the PF series uses. See this link:
    Hofer Gurgle Buster

11. nanomania

Hey, can u show me how u using it? also can u upload a pic or vid of how u covered the overflow to prevent snails?

12. nanomania

what if i dont use the sponge nor the extra pipe that has come with it? i tried and its working without any problem.