Eshopps Overflow Box

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Glipzcom, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

So I just bought a overflow box from Dr. Fosters. Its the Eshopps model 800 i believe they call it. And as far as construction it seems very sound. Nice thick acrylic. The overflow box uses 2 nylon screws. The rear box has the divided chamber that should help maintain siphon.

The problem i see is the U-Tube.

When i hang it on, first off it has nothing that holds it in place? That seems a little odd, i would expect some type of strap or even a groove to settle into.

But the real problem seems to be the length of the tube into the external reservoir. It only seems to reach in about 1/4" Which seem like to me a easy way to get a siphon break. I would assume the deeper the tube dips into the external chamber the safer, because its more likely for the pipe to stay submerged. Does that make sense?

I guess i need to look into getting them to replace the tube, or buy another tube from somewhere else.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I am actually looking into getting one of these, I'm not going to pay $100 for a CPR. If I understand correctly, the u tube only sticks into the drain (not intake box) 1/4"? To me that wouldn't be a problem because as long as the intake part of the u tube stays submerged, it can't break the siphon. Or am I wrong? Let me know how you like once you get it figured out.

4. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

[​IMG]

So if you look at the lower picture. How the tube on the right hand side of this overflow dips into that chamber about an 1" On the Eshopps one it seems like the tube is barely below the level of that wall i would say about 1/4"

Which i believe when everything is flowing well would not be an issue at all. But if the pump stops, the level from the inside one would continue to drain to this outside chamber. and the chamber would overflow down the pipe untill it levels out. Now if the tube twisted at all and a edge of it was able to get above the waterline air would start slurping in. This is all my theory, I haven't started running it yet.. so i don't know. I just like to be prepared for the worst. I think i would feel better if the u-tube felt like it was fixed in place some how.. but its not it is free to slide around.. maybe i should afix a clip or something to hold it in place..

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

oh, I understand now, yea, that does look like a problem when the pump stops.

6. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

I did wonder if the exit pipe (standpipe) on the left hand side is higher than that wall, I think that would set the level of the water in the overflow anyways, so maybe I just need a tall standpipe. I was going to try and get one of those aqua-silencers anyways, so maybe thats just the solution..

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

have you figured it out yet? How's the overflow working?

8. Click Here!

9. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

I am going to try to test it out this weekend. I have everything i need now except hoses.. So i need to figure that out..

10. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

so i didn't get completely set up this weekend. But I did realize something. I have been planning on adding a standpipe. I choose the Stockman aqua-silencer type. And as I was building it I realized the stand pipe would keep the water level at whatever point I cut the hole in the pipe. So I just made the standpipe higher than the secondary compartment. So most of the time both ends of the U-tube will be completely submerged. only if the water stops flowing, and then slowly leaks around the standpipe (which I wasn't going to glue to the bulkhead.) The the water level would go lower.. So I think it will all be ok.

11. JasonJordahl

JasonJordahl Astrea Snail

i have the same one and it is simple and works great