Eshopps HOB vs Octopus HOB

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mbrady, Aug 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

Hey all I am upgradng my skimmer due to the fact that my cpr is a piece of garbage, just want you opinion on which of these two skimmers i should choose. Both are HOB and will be used on my 40B reef. I am leaning towards the eshopps just because my cpr has the same design as the reef octopus but the setup is totally different as far as pump location and chambers.

Eshopps Hang-on Protein Skimmer

OR

Reef Octopus BH-100 HOB Skimmer

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Reef Octopus no doubt.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

5. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advise, I am just kind of at the end of my rope with skimmers. The cpr i got used but the thing never collected over an inch of skimate the 3 months I used it. I am just concerned the octupus just and functions just the the cpr the setup is very similar,

6. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

I think I am going to go with the aqua c remora, I have never seen a bad review on it.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The RO for sure. The remora is nice, but not in he same league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Eshopps. It will outperform the ReefOcto. Did in my case anyway.

10. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

I was pretty set on the eshopps it just looks more heavy duty, read one or two bad reviews so I started looking at others.

I still have my odyessa hob and it worked good back in the day, hooked it up and sure enough it skimmed much better than the cpr every did.

I still want to upgrade the odyessa has a leaking.problem.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would lean to the Eshopps because I have had good luck with mine. I have read a lot of good things about them also. The bad seems to be about the same for all of the units you have mentioned.

12. mbrady

mbrady Astrea Snail

I appreciate all the advice and I may go with the eshopps but before I do I wanted to pass a mod by you guys for my old Odyssea and see if you would think it would help.

I have attached a awful crudely outlined in paint picture of what I am talking about.

It would entail putting a L tube on the intake spot to redirect the flow upwards to the top of the skimmer.The intake of the skimmer actually has a piece protruding into the body so you could just attach the piping to that with some silicon.

I guess my real question is will this improve the performance of the skimmer any, as it is the intake is at about the middle of the body and it blasts into the opposite side wall, bubbles go up, down and in every direction.
    Would focusing the bubbles upward help skimming? Or do you want that straight shot to the other side letting the bubbles collect all of the sidewall bouncing all around.

Attached Files: