Eshopps 300GPH overflow: lift pump setup?

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Sheliaknows, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

Hello,

I just finished my first sump build and purchased a 300GPH overflow from Eshopps to move the water. The box it came in says it's reccomended to be used with an aqua lift pump but doesn't get into details as to how to use it with the overflow. So i purchased one too, now i have all the parts i need , i don't understand how i'm suppose to use this lift pump. I realize it sucks air, but wont it suck water when there is no more air to be removed? I just need some help to clairify the final steps for my setup. Do i just use it to prime the siphon and then remove, or is it intended to run continuously to ensure it wont loose its prime?

thanks,
    shelia

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I have the same overflow and honestly I never even looked at the instructions lol. I don't use a pump either and it never looses prime unless I take the U tube out of course. I just shove a piece of air line up the tube and make sure the skimmer box and OF box are full of water then suck the air out.

4. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

ok but my concern is the area i live in is notorious for power outtages and if im at work and the power goes out for a half hour and then comes back on my sump pump will turn on but the overflow will have lost its prime and the water will overflow onto the floor. so how can i make sure this won't happen??

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Guess I should add that with an aqua lift once the air is pulled it will pull water without hurting the pump. You just need to set it up so the 'out' from the pump dumps into your overflow box.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

oh well then this all makes sense now! i didn't understand the lift pump is like a small circut and sucks water and air out one end, and blows it back out the other end.

thanks for the help !

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It cant lose prime because both ends of the U tube are below water. It's hard to comprehend I know but the tube will stay full without flow and the siphon will restart everytime on it's own.

8. Click Here!

9. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

cool, thats a relief! i did a simulation and you were right the siphon will stay primed. thanks again for the help!

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

my pleasure
    ;D

11. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

there you go, nobody can answer better than one of our customer that used our brand and products.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's the only box I've ever used and I guarentee that any future set ups requiring a box will be eShopps.;D I've never had a problem with it period. Only improvement I'd make to the design is a light blocking cover.