ermano's ADA mini S planted build

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by ermano, Nov 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Hey everyone!!

Well, for the time being I've decided to set up a little FW planted tank instead of upgrading my 29g reef to a 40g breeder (that plan is still in the works, it just needs...more planning. and more money). This tank will go on my desk so I have something in my room to look at (get distracted by). I'm going for the more aesthetic look, something that is calming. So the Iwagumi style tanks came to mind, and that is what I'm trying to shoot for. I have a few buddies that are into these style planted tanks and I have them for reference too. Thought I would post my adventure on here as well (this being a SW dominated forum...it doesn't hurt I guess). Here is a list of equipment that I plan on using:

tank: ADA Mini S (roughly 3.5g)
    31cm x 18cm x 24cm

filtration: Azoo palm filter, rated for 5-10g. Since this is a small tank, I thought that shelling out 50+ for a canister filter was pointless. Just something with a sponge will suffice, I hope. It's actually not that bad looking. If all else fails and it's a really bad eyesore, I could try to hide it with some plants.

lighting: haven't really figured this one out...I've heard that a high rated desk lamps work okay. Something along the lines of 20-25 watts. I might make a trip to staples or something and have a looksy. If not I could find a small PC or T5 fixture suitable for this application. (space is a factor keep in mind).

substrate: I have access to eco-complete from a fellow aquarist. I've been contemplating if I could do something a little more fine grain to make it look...finer? Like a fine amazonia or something. Any ideas?

CO2: A believe a simple DIY CO2 reactor will be okay...I can have it dialed in by the time it is cycled. I want to go with a classy glass diffuser too. I think that would look nice.

So am I doing ok? Am I missing anything? I will update as I make progress! And don't worry, just because this isn't a SW build...I'll still have pics! And of course when the time comes to upgrade the 29g...I'll have a thread for that too heheh.

AND if everything goes down the crapper with the FW...I could always make a SW pico tank.;);)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've been considering doing the same thing. Something about planted tanks has been drawing my eye lately.

Lots of pictures I hope...

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

There are some small PC lamps on the market that use a 9W bulb. Use 6700K bulbs for the best results. I use substrate from aquariumplants.com, it is very good. They also have a great selection of plants that are very healthy. I suplement with Seachem products. The Azoo filter should work well.

Here's an older pic.

Attached Files:

5. Daniel

Daniel Plankton

I've used the Azoo Palm Filter before on a 2G cube and I think it's good enough for small tanks. It's cheap too so you won't be wasting any cash.

For substrate I would still lean towards ADA's line of soil... better to do it right the first time and for a Mini S it shouldn't be hard to find either a hobbyist willing to sell you some or just buy a small bag from a retailer.

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Well I keep updating my thread on plantedtank.net but not on here!!! Shame on me!! I'll just copy and paste the main posts with pictures.

Started on 11/21

I ended up using a 6500k floodlight as my lamp. it's rated for 16w, which is fine for planted.

For substrate I used ADA's amazonia, I like the consistency. And for CO2, I'm using the Jello method!!;)

Some pics:

tank and filter
    [​IMG]

quintessential ADA shot
    [​IMG]

close up of the filter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In goes the water
    [​IMG]

These were taken this morning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it's just doing it's thing...I still have to plant it and what not.

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

FTS!!

[​IMG]

I actually put the CO2 diffuser in the filter for now until I can get my hands on a nice glass diffuser. The diffuser is actually a piece of bamboo chopstick, works perfect.

8. Click Here!

9. dkuryga

dkuryga Astrea Snail

god i love that tank!!

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I do too;) Thanks.

If I could just find a rimless tank like this, except 40g for a new saltwater setup...heheh

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looking good

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Thank you.