Epsom salt and salinity

Discussion in 'Salt' started by trent51593, May 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Do I get a gold star for today Tangster?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think the main point that is not being heard is all these supplement manufactures are building there products from are the same chemicals commonly available to the average consumer. I've used Magnesium Sulfide and Chloride. On Tangster's advise I added Boraxo to my baking soda with great results.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this don't do it. But it works and is a lot cheaper.

BTW you want to hear stupid. I use RBS and get excellent levels of most parameters so daily dosing just isn't needed. (aside form a CA reactor) But it's very expensive

J

1 person likes this.
  4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

^ That's exactly what The Tangster has been saying all along, Jason.

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

RBS ?? define please, and "most" parameters ?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Reefers Best Salt. It's a brand of salt form KZ (Korallenzucht). The same makers as the Zeovit line of bacteria based supplements.
    It has 'Natural' sea levels of CA, Mag, ALK, K, with no phosphates or nitrates.

I used the term 'Most' because in non-Zeovit systems it is recommended to have elevated levels of ALK and CA. That is not the case in Zeo

J

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Myself, Tangster, Otty, and many others can produce some photos and videos (check out our tank threads or videos) for viewing pleasure, also post some pics of the money we have saved using natural elements available daily at the grocery! Karma for Bogie, exactly what I was thinking, you nailed it!

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

i would love to see them , links ?

1 person likes this.
  10. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Links please?

Now. Lets check out the main differences between the two and what they are most commonly used for.

Magnesium Chloride:

These salts are typical ionic halides, being highly soluble in water. The hydrated magnesium chloride can be extracted from brine or sea water. Anhydrous magnesium chloride is the principal precursor to magnesium metal, which is produced on a large scale.

Magnesium Sulfate:

It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O, commonly called Epsom salts. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is used as a drying agent. Since the anhydrous form is hygroscopic (readily absorbs water from the air) and therefore harder to weigh accurately, the hydrate is often preferred when preparing solutions, for example in medical preparations. Epsom salts have traditionally been used as a component of bath salts.

Properties:
    Magnesium sulfate makes an important contribution to the absorption of sound in seawater .

In agriculture and gardening, magnesium sulfate is used to correct magnesium deficiency in soil (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule). It is most commonly applied to potted plants, or to magnesium-hungry crops, such as potatoes, roses, tomatoes, and peppers. The advantage of magnesium sulfate over other magnesium soil amendments (such as dolomitic lime) is its high solubility.

Magnesium sulfate is used as in bath salts, particularly in flotation therapy where high concentrations raise the bath water's specific gravity, effectively making the body more buoyant. This property is also used to restore some Lava lamps damaged by being shaken by exchanging the water and adding drops of a concentrated solution until sustainable buoyancy is reached. Traditionally, it is also used to prepare foot baths, intended to soothe sore feet.

I used wikipedia as a source.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

BAAA-BAaaammmmm, !!!!

sulfate > for your feet and lava lamps.
    chloride> for you reef tank.

Magnesium sulfate is used as in bath salts, particularly in flotation therapy where high concentrations raise the bath water's specific gravity, effectively making the body more buoyant. This property is also used to restore some Lava lamps damaged by being shaken by exchanging the water and adding drops of a concentrated solution until sustainable buoyancy is reached. Traditionally, it is also used to prepare foot baths, intended to soothe sore feet.

with that said "specific gravity" which is what "we" actully need to read on OUR refraction meters....NOT salinity.

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i was told at the lfs that epsom salt can cause the sand to turn black.i did'nt take any chances and bought b ionic magnesium.i asked them why they still stocked epsum salt and they said cause customers request it and some people use it in fresh water tanks.

1 person likes this.