Enough to make anyone angry

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by ibefishy, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

:cry: That's just disgusting. I can't believe that it's not illegal.. What do they do to the person when they catch him? "Now Frank, we hope this won't happen again, you stunk up the harbor, but good try on concealing the evidence"....:angry:

"Many people feel we are granting (tropical fish collectors and exporters) a tremendous privilege by allowing them to make hundreds of thousands of dollars on our reefs, and we're getting nothing in return."

- I don't even know what to say to that..:-/

4. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I feel bad for having a Yellow Tang. Almost as if all those fish died because I wanted one. If I didnt want one then maybe people wouldnt feel the need to go collect them. Although I know it extends further than just me wanting one. I am definetly going to try to buy only captive bred fish in the future. I dont want to contribute to that kind of needless death.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Folks as far as the reef is concerned the fish is dead whether it made it into you tank, into your stomach or into a trash bin. Once removed off the reef consider it dead from a genetic stand point. There's more to consider as well, Jay Hemdel said it best over on RC and I fully agree:

610 dead fish in Hawaii garbage - Reef Central Online Community

Here is a little bit on Jay: Jay Hemdal Live
    Pretty sure he's still the curator of fishes @ the Toledo Zoo .

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Captive bred has a dark side as well, it's called culling. A ton of fish get culled all the time and no one writes a article on it. Having spoken with hatcheries, seeing tens of thousands culled a year is not uncommon.

7. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Well said!! But you shouldn't feel bad for having a yellow tang.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting points Gresham. Those pics sure are dramatic though. :p
    Having worked in a couple LFS, it was the volume that always got to me a bit. Part of my job was to go around with the net everyday and scoop.

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

thats insane. i really really hope they're right and it was a huge tank that had some serious disaster that caused them to die and not some ignorant poacher that didnt know what they were doing...

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

well put. alot of people dont understand this. all the fish you see in every LFS is "DEAD" to the world.

that must have eventually gotten to you emotionally walking around and scooping up dead fish all the time.... i dont know if i have the ability to work in a LFS. i mentally beat myself up if a fish dies on my watch.

12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

makes me feel better that ive purchased all tank-bred livestock thus far