Enough Light?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by PorkyBubs, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

DFS has some cheap MH fixtures on clearance, 400 bucks for a 48" 300w which should be fine for a 55g I considered buying one for my 75g but the wife is convinced I need a canopy.

PC's arent enough to keep a clam alive, period if your LFS told you differently then all they wanted to do was make a sale, use a new LFS for now on if that's an option.

T5's can support a clam but there are conflicting reports on if the clam can thrive under them, yes in lumens T5 are better than MH but MH still has better penetration, I'm not on either boat really since I have a T5 fixture but just ordered the lighting setup for my 75 which is a 2x250mh and 2x54w acintic T5 setup.

If you just have to have a clam, buy a MH you cant be in this hobby and be a cheapskate as much as I wish I could be it'll end up costing you way more in the long run in the amount of livestock that ends up dying.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Another very valid point for T5, the only thing with OD'ing bulbs is it cuts the expected lifetime by about 40% but they still outlive PC's even when OD

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I also have a 55 gallon tank with the four 54w t5 fixture and I also have a clam, it's about 10in . below the lights. The clam has been there for about 5-6 weeks and seem great, very good reflex to light and has burrowed itself in the rock. I agree that the lfs many times just tries to sell you a product and stretches the truth, yes some people here have been able to keep clams under pc lighting, you may have to have it 3 in. from the light, but it can be done. IMO, T5 are the way to go, cheaper then MH and also run cooler as well as having the bulbs last much longer. I have a set of UVL bulbs and they are great!

5. reeflover1

reeflover1 Plankton

I believe the pc's would be enough @4x65w, the problem may be that you have your clam up high. clams like to be in the sand bed where the can suck detrius out of the sand. so you in fact may be starving your clam as they need not just light.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I disagree. Watts has less to do with it than quality. Also, only a few species of clam need to be on the sand. Croceas and maximas need to be kept on rock and clams do not suck detritus out of the sand. They suck phytoplankton out of the water.

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Amen to that!

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

reeflover this isn't true with all clams. Gigas and squamosa are sand dwelling critters but crocea and maxima need to be on the rock where their bysal sp gland can attach. The truth is they actually do feed off of light when they get above around 2.5 inches. This is the reason for the squamosa's massive size and same with gigas and derasa. They get that big so the waves in the ocean don't whip them around.

10. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Thank you everyone for giving me information on the lighting, etc. Some of you guys said the LFC was trying to make a sale but he was telling me not to buy any lights but if i wanted to i could if it made me happ.y

I will go look around for a lighting system and maybe if ones on sale i will sell my old one. I can only spend like $150.

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

check out ebay - im sure you could pick up some 2nd hand t'5s for that!

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights

Little more than 150 but still under 200 with shipping and a decent light, I wouldnt stick a clam under anything but a really nice T5 setup or a MH though

Could also be a good canidate for a JBJ Viper clip on, can get a 150w for around 200 bucks and just buy a 2nd one later when you have some additional cash flow but with that directly over where your clam would be it would probably do ok