Enough light?????

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by DSC reef, Oct 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Me and the wife have been thinking about switching the 55 gallon reef tank over to our 125 gallon tank. I'm worried that I won't have enough light for the 125. Currently I'm running a 48" halide/T5 combo. It has two 150 watt halides and four 54 watt T5 bulbs. Would that be enough light? I can get another fixture down the road but I don't want to move the corals over if there gonna be starved of light.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I think it would be fine except for the edges of the tank. May look a little funny having the edges in darkness, but otherwise should be fine for the rest of the tank.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I was worried about it looking weird as well. I expected more room when I emptied the 36 bowfront into the 55 but I was wrong. The 125 will be perfect. I originally got it for a fowler setup but it would give me plenty of room to play.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I know just what you are talking about, as I recently upgraded to a 125 from a 55 :)

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

So you really think it would be enough light marshall. I have that light on my 55 and I'm getting responses I've never seen in my corals. My RBTA is actually bubbling up. Never got that with my T5's. I just want the best for them.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Since the height of both tanks is about the same, the only difference is the extra 6" width, and 2' length. So as long as you placed your corals right, they should do just as well as they are in your 55.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

You can also fill the ends with low-light corals.

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Dennis the LFS by me has the same used light you are running for sale. I can find out the details and get back with you if you want to go that route. That's a big extra light though just to cover six inches..

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get it going.

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Yo Dennis.. How are you controlling the heat with the new lights? I may purchase the ones at my LFS after the move. I've asked around; I went on tour of Melbourne the other day to all the LFS in Melbourne asking about my tank, why the sudden illnesses I'm getting, and since I'm breaking the tank down for the move, what can I add to upgrade the tank. All the stores approved of these lights, just said to watch the temp.