Enough Light??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Denboka, Nov 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Denboka

Denboka Plankton

I have a 36x18x24 65 gal tank. I would like to put plants in it. no co2 if possible. I have 4x39w t5HO at 10000k. Is this good enough or what? Do I need diff. bulbs, more or less bulbs. Help Please!! I am currently fighting brown algae?

Thanks for any info.

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Plenty of light. As for the brown algae? How old is your tank. Could be Diatoms. Which is common and normal in a newer tank. Also happens from time to time in older tanks. Research diatom algae for a better understanding :)

4. Denboka

Denboka Plankton

My tank is 7 weeks old... It cycled in only 2 weeks and have been fighting the algae ever since. Its real hard not to tear everything up and clean...

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Way too much light if you don't want to use CO2. I use 2 T5HO bulbs on my 75 gallon planted tank and need to fertilize heavily and use lots of CO2.

2 or 3 T8 or T5NO bulbs with a white plastic reflector will work for what you want.

6. Denboka

Denboka Plankton

Getting new lights at point in will only end in divorce... So can i get away with only running 2 of the 4 bulbs and should I make one of them say 6700k instead, and how long should I leave them on.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can cut back to 2 bulbs but will only be able to run them for about 4 hours a day or you will most likely have algae issues without using CO2. If you can lift them 30 inches or more above the gravel. Plan on developing a good fertilizer routine to help with algae control. This should allow you to increase the photo period some.

8. Click Here!

9. Denboka

Denboka Plankton

well 23 inches above the gravel is the best I can do.. Would a DIY co2 system do anything. A pressurized system is totally out of the question for a while. This whole light thing has got me lost big time..first I read at least 2 w/g and now I have way too much even though my tank is 24 deep( 20ish after substrate) The above is why I bought this light...would different bulb temp make a difference? And how must I wait out this diatom stuff?

Thanks for the info so far.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

For a tank that size DIY CO2 probably won't cut it. Temperature difference will not matter. If you can hang it from something I would do that, even if you need to DIY it. Shelf brackets are a popular and effective way. Plus you could have a nik nak shelf for your wife.

11. Denboka

Denboka Plankton

The setup is in the living room and raising it higher would not make the wife happy. She already thinks that the diy canopy is really close to being to big. She doesn't want to see the light. So I will try the 2 bulb way and maybe add a DIY CO2 to see if that helps. As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic I will. I hope to get my plants real soon so I can remove those ugly fake ones...

Thanks for the advice 2in10

What did you mean by a good fertilizer routine? I plan on using root tabs and flourish 2 times a week. Good enough?? (as soon as I get plants in that is)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Not with the lighting you have. You will need to dose N, P, K, Fe and trace nutrients daily and pretty heavily. Adding Seachem Excel daily with the DIY CO2 may be a big help. I suggest using dry ferts and making your own dosing mixes from them.