Emperor Angel recovering from ich - what are the brown spots

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by fielding12, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fielding12

fielding12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This Emperor Angel is nearing four weeks of cupramine as he was treated for ich. Recently he developed a brown spotting on his cheeks, above his eye and along his lateral line.

[​IMG]

What the heck is that?

Do I need to continue him in QT or is he ok to add to DT. He eats well, no stressed breathing or scratching against rocks.

2. Click Here!

3. fielding12

Seven days later, no change. Fish still acting healthy. I decreased cupramine until fish was in DT quality water, waited a day, and then acclimated the fish and transferred it to the DT.

Watching other fish and the transferred fish carefully for next two weeks. Fingers crossed. Expecting no problems.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Hole in head/lateral line disease?

5. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

+1 Looks like lateral line disease. Here is some info:

Possible Causes
    There are many "theories" as to why this disease occurs, but there seems to be no single definitive answer that can be pinpointed or solely connected to it. Many of the contributing theories include stray voltage in the aquarium, poor water quality and environmental conditions, high nitrate levels, lack of vitamins and poor nutrition, stress, parasitic infestation (a protozoan, Octomita necatrix), using carbon, and that some fish may just be genetically pre-disposed to this disease condition, such as Tangs & Surgeonfishes (refer to sixth discussion down).

Treatment
    Most of the above possible causes can be easily addressed. Stray voltage induces stress, so adding a grounding probe to the aquarium is a wise thing to do in any case. For poor water quality and environmental issues, follow good regular aquarium maintenance routines. Reduce and eliminate any other stress inducing factors, correctly diagnosis for parasites and always feed fishes foods that any particular species require in their diets.

6. fielding12

Thanks. I'll watch this fish carefully. He was no doubt very stressed in the QT (small for him 30 gal) tupperware tank. Hopefully he will perk up in the DT.

If he doesn't do well, I'll treat him for lateral line.