Emperor angel in a softie / LPS reef

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by iLLwiLL, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

After a ton of homework and planning, I think I'm going to try an emperor angel in my 180 reef. I have been selling off a bunch of my corals and re-scaped for a more open design. Also going to be changing my lighting over to T5's and shifting to a leather / euphilia / RBTA kinda scheme.

I have the angel all picked out and lined up, just need to get a few more "less angel safe" corals out of my tank before I can go pick him up. anyone ever tried this? I have seen them in a bunch of SPS tanks, and everything I have read indicates they will leave noxious soft corals and stinging LPS / anemones alone.

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

iLLwiLL

I have personally met the Emporer Angel that does not agree with your post above
    when I saw it in a 3 metre x 2 metre x 1 metre display tank in an LFS I visit, it was chomping happily away at what looked to be a perfectly healthy Elegance coral (aside from the bald spot the Angel was creating)

maybe the exception I dont know?

Steve

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

moved to fish board...

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Not planning on having an elegance, just torch, frogspawn and hammer which I read were more on the safe safe side. Your LFS has a 1200+ gallon, 9' x 6' x 3' display tank? where are those pics at?!?!

~Will.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

picked him up last night and he is a beaut, only 3-4" and already more than half changed to adult colors. hopefully since hes starting small in the tank the coral sampling will be kept to a minimum.

i'll get a couple pics up later in the week after I get my lighting switched over.

~Will.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

cool
    I hope it works out for you iLLwiLL as they are great fish

I will visit that LFS by the way and I will get you a picture of the shop window which is actually the fish tank

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

almost a week in the tank already and so far . . . pretty good! its really cool to walk up to the tank and get greeted by this little guy grunting away. he hasn't touched any LPS but it looks like he might have dragged a zoa frag into "his" cave to snack on.

~Will.

10. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

You know the rules-pics or it didn't happen :).

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats but we don't believe you yet. No pics. no believe.

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Please look at my pictures. I have an emperor angel with many of the mentioned corals. I have a large hammer and few torches many many softies and he leaves everything alone. I will remove it if it gets into things but over the last year it has been under supervision though. The clam died in question but I did not witness any funky buisness.